• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Driver qualification file

Man with a plan

I recently applied for my Dot number and have been getting the calls from the compliance companies they say that I need to have driver qualification file for all drivers (I am the only driver). Do I need to have a file on myself? I am in the state of PA. Thanks

ahart

The way the law reads and the way I understand it, yes you are required to have one on yourself. I went online and found the 8 or so items they wanted in there, did my best to print and fill out the forms as needed and called it good. I believe these are more used in large firms with many drivers. DOT compliance is something that will drive you crazy trying to follow it as an owner operator.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Yes you need it. Are you setup for random drug testing? You’ll need that also. Another piece of advice…whatever the time period you are required to keep various documents do so but shred them the next day. If you’re ever audited anything in the file is fair game, I’d sure hate to pay a fine of something that’s 2 years old.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Yes you need it. Are you setup for random drug testing? You’ll need that also. Another piece of advice…whatever the time period you are required to keep various documents do so but shred them the next day. If you’re ever audited anything in the file is fair game, I’d sure hate to pay a fine of something that’s 2 years old.
It would be really embarrassing if you failed a random drug test you sprang on yourself after a long weekend.