• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

drum flights in a hot plant

mclinkus

campers, hotels, and occasionaly home in Indy
anyone have any expierience with hot plants?

im looking for some one with first hand knowledge of what new flights do to material in a drum dryer.

i run a crusher and the hot plant guy changed his flights this spring and now the material is coming out of the boot with damn near 7% 200's

even though the cold feed samples consistantly come back being out of spec on the course side of the narrow band.

anyway... just wondering if anyone has any expierence with this..

'link

bigblueox

i'm guessing the flights are moving the material faster and more efficiently. wether thats a good thing, in your case it's not, is debatable.

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
I have got a little experiance, I dont know if Ill be able to help though.
IT might not be the flights in the plant ( could be the wrong angel, moving material to fast) There are also a LOT of other little things that could be part.
Im guessing that you have some kind of fan system to control the dust , Is you damper open to much?, not enough? the movement of air throught the dryer might be taking too much of or not enough of the fine 'crusher dust' as I call it, that is usually in the 200 range.
How about the material its self? if it is course, Bigger stone has larger surface to hold that dust, so that could also be an issue. How about you additive, back home we used to use a # 40 sand as a Void filler in the mix I cant remember the numbers, but it also had to have a certain amount of it passing the #200.
If you have a little in that, combinded with the stone, and any other material, that pushes every thing over.

I know for us, it was nerve wracking getting things just right, you get you spec for the job, crush your material, get a mix design from the enginer, Calabrate the plant, (cold) then start tweeking for the dust temperature. We also had an guy doing Moisture corrections on the material severial times a day just to get that little bit extra quallity product.

its hard to help without seeing you mix and what is going in to it. I have the ear of a few engineers and a few guys that have been running crushers and asphalt plants for decades.

Last edited:

mudober

Occupation
heavy equiptment operator
Maybe your rock is too soft. Shale in it will thro it off.

andoman

Necro post. Also could have used the wrong type of flights in the wrong place in the drum.