• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dt466E Transmission

astrick300

I have a 1999 International 4700 with a DT466E with a 6+1 manual transmission. I have found that the truck was available with this trans or a RT8908LL. From what I understand the Rt8908LL is for more of an off road truck. I am looking at changing the transmission to a ten speed. I was wondering if I can put a Eaton 10 speed in it or what other options are available. I use the truck to haul my 36' gooseneck with equipment or hay. Also to make long runs back to PA. It also hauls my 28' enclosed spray foam rig and a 4 horse slant load trailer. I am looking to get a bit more gears out of the truck.

Last edited:

astrick300

The most its driven off road is on hard soil. Either around the house or hay field. Being 4x2, it doesn't do well at all off road. Mainly an on the road truck.

cfherrman

Well I think a 8ll would be a huge upgrade over what you have now, the increased off road is from the deep reduction gears which the ten speed might have too. I don't think a ten will be too much better on the road, 5 high side gears over 4

Truck Shop

I was wondering if I can put a Eaton 10 speed in it or what other options are available. I use the truck to haul my 36' gooseneck with equipment or hay. Also to make long runs back to PA. It also hauls my 28' enclosed spray foam rig and a 4 horse slant load trailer. I am looking to get a bit more gears out of the truck.
Yes--what you want is something on the order of, RTLO11610B this ten speed in the "B" category
has a first gear equal to low in a 13 speed 12.94 and a overdrive of .74.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

10157 could but you want a low inertia box--RTLO-Roadranger, Twin counter shaft, Low inertia,
Overdrive. It's a tougher, quieter gear box. With that 466 you only need a torque level rating
gear box wise of 1,100 ft lbs torque, plus you will need a trans with a #1 bell-small bell housing.

astrick300

So if I am reading this correctly, The RTLO11610B would pretty much be a direct replacement? I have to apologize, I am on the learning curve of this size of trucks. Just got tired of beating the crap out of my pickups, so I upsized so to speak. Just trying to get as much information as I can. I really appreciate the help. Moved to a new state and all of the contacts that I knew where to go are not here, they are back east and its tough to get info out here.

Truck Shop

So if I am reading this correctly, The RTLO11610B would pretty much be a direct replacement?
It would be a great replacement as a 10 speed, but there are several factors, having the
correct bell housing, the correct top cover {known as a shift bar housing} which needs
to be determined for correct shift tower placement through the floor, and driveline will
need to be shortened, and the possibility the clutch might have a change also because
a different size input shaft. Does this truck have air Brakes?

astrick300

It has air over hydraulic brakes. Some pics. The vin and the current transmission in it. And a pic of the truck for reference

Attachments

• 20240215_162217.jpg
    20240215_162217.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 20240215_162142.jpg
    20240215_162142.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 20240214_080150.jpg
    20240214_080150.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 15

MG84

Seems to me like a lot of work for not a huge amount of gain. I’m not a big fan of those 6+1 Spicers (mostly due to how sloppy the shifter gets,) but for a medium duty transmission I’ve always thought the gearing/spacing was adequate. Whats your rear end ratio and what hp is the engine?

astrick300

I am not sure of the rear gear ratio. But I am trying to get away from 65 mph @ 2300-2400 rims. With anything on the trailer, at any kinda of an incline I drop into the 50' very quick. Then when down shifting into 5th, at mid to low 50's the rpm is up above 2000 and doesn't have tons of room for gain. Just trying to get a bit more out of it, is all

MG84

What you are describing is just the nature of these trucks. I have a ‘00 4700 with a dt466/Allison mt643 and my father has a ‘98 4700 with dt466/6+1 and both act about the same. When loaded hills on the interstate slow you down pretty quick, its as much a function of hp as anything. These trucks were primarily designed for regional and vocational use, not high speed long distance hauling. Probably not what you want to hear, but I’d look for a newer medium duty with 300+ hp or a class 7-8 single axle tractor if you are looking for more performance on the highway.

IceHole

10157 could but you want a low inertia box--RTLO-Roadranger, Twin counter shaft, Low inertia,
Overdrive. It's a tougher, quieter gear box. With that 466 you only need a torque level rating
gear box wise of 1,100 ft lbs torque, plus you will need a trans with a #1 bell-small bell housing.
Isn't a 90s DT466 like 250ish hp, maybe 600 ft/lb torque?

IceHole

What you are describing is just the nature of these trucks. I have a ‘00 4700 with a dt466/Allison mt643 and my father has a ‘98 4700 with dt466/6+1 and both act about the same. When loaded hills on the interstate slow you down pretty quick, its as much a function of hp as anything. These trucks were primarily designed for regional and vocational use, not high speed long distance hauling. Probably not what you want to hear, but I’d look for a newer medium duty with 300+ hp or a class 7-8 single axle tractor if you are looking for more performance on the highway.
Outfit I work for has 3 5000 gallon water trucks with DT466 and 643 autos.
Pulling 8-10% grades they are not happy! Nor us anyone stuck behind at 10mph! On flat ground they aren't too bad. Downhill with just service brakes is scary. At least a manual would have some engine braking.

Truck Shop

Isn't a 90s DT466 like 250ish hp, maybe 600 ft/lb torque?
Well--go out and try and find a RTO6610 real rare these days, parts to rebuild one are more
than a full size gear box. Add the fact a RTLO is quieter and shifts better than a RTO--there
just isn't much point to a 6610 or 6613.
The guy asked questions I answered--personally I would buy a bigger truck, it's his truck his
money.
Find someone on here that knows as much about them as I do--or all of rookies can answer.

terex herder

Local fire department has a '94 with a DT466 and 2500 gallon water tank. Its has sufficient power for flat land. I'd hate to try to drive it in the mountains, or even at elevation. Your hay rake on the trailer is a big parachute, that alone probably takes 20+ hp at road speed. I doubt if you have the horsepower to make an overdrive useful.