• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dumb & Dumber dont hollar just laugh

pinesd3400

Occupation
anything to bay the bills
Hot Sat. afternoons, beer coolers scrap way up, Pic 1 mad wife >
This thing is a 1949 30T Northwest to pick up a 850 GMC & back trailer
under it, when it creeped to the left, I stomped the house brake, nothing,
I dumped the spool brake, ran out of spool, end of subject, sliding door
nailed me, batterys exploded. This all happened 3 feet from the ground.
That yellow Fords got big time winch on the front and that & dozer It
came right over, sheet metal toast but it started right up. Please dont hit
me to hard all you guys she's already cracked me side the head. I know the
cranes smarter than me & Im older that it, but now my lesson is, Lawn chair
cooler, and my kids now do it cause he drinks Pepsi!!!!

Attachments

• pics 011.jpg
    pics 011.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,269
  • pics 032.jpg
    pics 032.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,269
  • pics 010.jpg
    pics 010.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,263

JDOFMEMI

sounds like it came out OK in the end.

Times like this, get out the grease gun and lube up the chassis while you can get to it all.

Look forward to more stories, but keep the rubber side down next time.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
:p
I predict you will have many friends on this site.

You got it, tool!

But when a guy say's "don't hit me too hard, guys...", man that's tail between the legs and just too tempting! :p

At least he has a traffic cone there to direct traffic around destruction zone, safety first! :D

DigDug

Great pics Pinsed. I cant decipher exactly what you are saying , but I like you already. Nice looking older equipment you take good care of it. Hope your not hurt to bad with the crane mishap. :drinkup

pinesd3400

Occupation
recap well dig dug just hurt pride and twisted iron. Dont worry I am saying at my age
Im going to cool it. I said 9th life. Last year 8th life in the hot sun a 11-00-20 blew
right off the back of a truck as I just walked by it, Me & son was deaf all day Never
heard anything like that. More > life no. 7, help a friend out doing parking lot. Go to
plant and get 17ton on binder body+ up, just as the mix started to slide, the linkage
blew up from the piston, this is on a LN9000 425hp cat sweet truck, well it came down,
cab shield flattened cab blowing all the glass out, cab into dump body, I got smacked
with lunch box and truck radio (mounted on roof) They said the front end came three
feet of the ground, and that to sounded like that tire explosion. So thats what Im
saying. Like troubles following me. And all of that was no fault of mine.
So another word of caution dont even get near tires even tubeless in hot weather!!
sam

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
recap well dig dug just hurt pride and twisted iron. Dont worry I am saying at my age
Im going to cool it. I said 9th life. Last year 8th life in the hot sun a 11-00-20 blew
right off the back of a truck as I just walked by it, Me & son was deaf all day Never
heard anything like that. More > life no. 7, help a friend out doing parking lot. Go to
plant and get 17ton on binder body+ up, just as the mix started to slide, the linkage
blew up from the piston, this is on a LN9000 425hp cat sweet truck, well it came down,
cab shield flattened cab blowing all the glass out, cab into dump body, I got smacked
with lunch box and truck radio (mounted on roof) They said the front end came three
feet of the ground, and that to sounded like that tire explosion. So thats what Im
saying. Like troubles following me. And all of that was no fault of mine.
So another word of caution dont even get near tires even tubeless in hot weather!!
sam

An 11.00/20 tire blew as you walked by??? I'm sorry for your experience...but that's a mental picture! If it was me, I would not only be deaf for a day, but it would have scared the bejesus out of me! I'd say your eyes popped out like a stomped on bullfrog! :eek:

john1066

how old is your Northwest crane and did you scrap it or do you still have it. I didn't know there were any cranes that old around still other than maybe Klangs Boros and our old Koehring

td25c

Good looken old iron.That northwest crane will be ok.After you set it back up check the fluid levels.That old iron is tough,It will be ok.I halve a 1953 k-12 Insley,love those old cranes.

Komatsu 150

Just in case you might think a tire can't blow up on it's own this is a poor picture of a tire up against our shop on a summer day.

Attachments

• clip_image002.jpg
    clip_image002.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,070

pinesd3400

Occupation
John 1066 I see you are a neighbor, well its a 1949 model 30. The truck is a Dart
with engine I have no clue. Big flathead 6, two heads the distributor in the middle,
air comp. gear driven & that drives water pump. Maybe Walkishaw? upstairs is Buda
6 which runs good. Truck started first turn, but havent tried upstairs cause the battery
exploded & ripped some wires out. My dozer & ten wheeler got it back, when it landed
the boom snapped at the pins (fixed that) a lot of toasted tin, can be fixed.
My son wanted to scrap it but now prices down, I cant afford the oxygen so it sits.
I look back to that day, ill bet the wind blew it around when my brake failed. Sam

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
At least she went over on the soft side and nobody got slammed ...a few pop's and she's just a bit of battered pride..

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
now that's funny stuff.
i guess i'm gonna hafta post the pics of the day i folded the boom of a northwest#6 90degrees right.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
now that's funny stuff.
i guess i'm gonna hafta post the pics of the day i folded the boom of a northwest#6 90degrees right.

Does that mean you created a Northwest with a "right-angle" boom? :D

Crane Op

Occupation
Crane Operator
No worries there Liebherr! Things happen to the best of us, plus i remember hearing that the winds were oddly high that day. Infact I remember the news caster saying the gusts were so strong that it could tip a crane...?

Glad you came out alright tho, could have been worse.