• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

dump truck???

northernsweeper

I am new to the site.hello everyone! I am in need of a dump truck,to pull my sweeper.Would an L8000 ford S/A be big enough?The sweeper is an elgin pelican.It weighs 16,000 lbs.Also have any of you ever used an L8000 S/A for plowing streets or lots?How is the truck for pulling and plowing?Thanks for any opinions.

cat320

Charter Member
The L 8000 is more than capable of doing what you want when i was plowing for a town that is all we had in dpw.

I almosy forgot welcome abord.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to HeavyEquipmentForums!:drinkup

A Ford 8000 should be capable of towing the sweeper, how well will depend on the engine/transmission combo.

Where are you located?

northernsweeper

I live in the northern part of minnesota.I am hoping for a cat diesel,with mabey a 5+2 or a 7 speed.The truck will have to pull my sweeper on 400 mile round trips,often with the dump full of sand on the return trip.Is it reasonable to expect the truck to plow in the winter,and still drag my sweeper around in the warmer months,without ruining the truck in short order?Anyone ever buy a municipal truck?If so were you happy?thanks guys for the opinions!

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
The truck will have to pull my sweeper on 400 mile round trips,often with the dump full of sand on the return trip.

I think you just threw a monkey wrench into the works with that idea.

If you've got a couple of tons of trailer, and 8 tons of sweeper on the trailer, that's not bad. But if you now put seven or eight tons, or more, in the bed--I think you're going to be overweight, both legally and in terms of abusing the truck. Even if you can manage to get it registered for a high enough GVW, I think your rear axle weight on the truck would be over.

I know people who have been happy with municipal trucks, but I think it's a crapshoot in terms of what you're going to have to put into it in maintainence dollars down the road. Municipalities trade them in for a reason.

Last edited:

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
IS there a reason you are bringing the sand back 400 miles with you? Do you bring the sand out in the winter for ice? I would think there would be some local places that you could use to dispose of the material instead of dragging it back.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
You mentioned a Cat motor, I don't know how far back you're planning to go but stay away from any version of the 3208 Cat engine. They weren't Cat's best effort and have a trouble plagued history.

northernsweeper

o.k bad idea,scratch bringing the sand home.I think you are right.there is always someone looking for free fill.the trucks I am looking at are 91,92 fords.Its interesting what you say about the 3208 cat engines.Detroit or cummins is the better bet?I am going this a;m to try to buy a truck.I don't have pockets full of money.I will let you know how it turns out.There is also an Lt9000 there I will look at,but I think it may be to pricey for my budget.thanks guys.talk to you soon.

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
Most of the Cats were good engines, Like Steve said the 3208 was not great. Most Internationals are great to but, and I can't remember the model, one of there smaller motors was a real dog as well.

See whats out there first.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Generally speaking, most light and medium duty V-8 diesels were not real good engines, regardless of brand. Cummins made a couple, one was the 903 often referred to as the nine o nothing due to the lack of power. IH had one which I think CT is referring to that was problematic as well, mostly in the valve train.

Your best bet is to get an inline 6, nearly all of these are good engines. My choice would be Cummins, Cat and Detroit in that order. I don't think the Series 60 Detroit is available in the 8000, that would be on par with Cat in my opinion.

You might consider stepping up to the 9000 series Ford. Many fleets run these and the sell very inexpensively when they are replaced with a lot of life left to them. There's another thread that discusses this option you might want to look at.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Pelicans are cheep. instead of towing 400 miles you could pickup another used one for 5,000 or less and leave it at your work site. It would pay for it self within a year that way and be much safer. then it wouldn't mater what size truck you got.