• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dumpbed?

69chevelle

I am gonna be installing a dumpbed on a tandem axle tractor and was wanting some input, my frame at the back of the truck slopes down because this truck at one time used to be a over the road truck so my question is how do I go about leveling this area off so I can attach my dumpbed? My dumpbed has a subframe attached so that is where it is hinged at so the bed and subframe actually just be setting down on this area and the subframe will then be bolted to the truck frame.Thanks

621_Rocker

I would fabricate a piece on to the bottom of the dumpbed subframe so that it makes full contact when it is mounted to the truck frame and then you can bolt plates on to the sides to tie the two together. Before that however, how much of an over the road truck is this? A typical over the road truck should not be used for a dump truck. An over the road truck uses a lighter weight frames, lighter axles, higher geared differentials, softer riding suspension systems, which are unsuited for the demands of being a dump truck. Dump trucks often times are dumped in areas of rough terrain and the swaying of the box when being dumped puts stresses on the frame. There is a relative glut of used over the road trucks as fleets are replaced at a faster rate than with other equipment so prices may be attractive in the used market but you may be better off finding a purpose built dump truck or maybe finding a better donor truck.

69chevelle

The price of the truck isn't an issue because I have owned this truck for a long time. I understand what your saying about the time spent offroad but there is afew trucks around here that have been converted and haven't had issues but for the amount of time I use the truck I think it will be my best bet. This truck is a 1978 marmon that hasn't been across country since 1991 it has spent more time around here locally since.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Like Rocker was referring to--tractors usually make VERY poor dump trucks unless you beef them up.If you're going to be putting any kind of serious weight to her,I would let a welder fabricate a double frame from behind the cab all the way to the rear at the very least.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
if a person is going to install a bed on a road tractor, the subframe is the best way to go. I have done this one time, on a air ride truck, it worked good, until I got tried of the air ride. I just took flat bar and made the frame straight and square. I bolted the sub frame to the chassis, I tried to use holes already in the frame. I did have to take out the magnetic drill and drill some more holes. Lots of pressure, so bolt it good
If your truck is air ride, I hope you have a dump valve, so you can dump the bags, before lifting the bed MAKE SURE YOU TRY TO STAY LEVEL, BEFORE DUMPING

69chevelle

I have seen a few converted but never have got a close look at how they were done. I have seen a few dumps with what looked like 4 in. channel and I have also seen some with what like square tubing.