• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DW10 Moving Tomorrow

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
The Cat DW10 tractor I've owned for several years is finally getting moved closer to home tomorrow. It's been sitting in Seward, Nebraska for many years and we are going to move it to Springfield tomorrow. It will be only 10 minutes away instead of 70 miles!
It might finally get some work done on it, maybe it will start itself and run for the first time since 2007. The last time it ran before that was sometime around 1990. We pull started it in the spring of 2007, it ran for about 2 minutes and then it blew a hose, oiled my leg and I haven't had time to work on it since.
I'll post pics of the move tomorrow night or Saturday.
Alan627b

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Pics of the way it was when I bought it.
Alan

Attachments

• 010_2b (Small).JPG
    010_2b (Small).JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,575
  • 009_1b (Small).JPG
    009_1b (Small).JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,481
  • DSC00261 (Small).JPG
    DSC00261 (Small).JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,820
  • DSC00273 (Small).JPG
    DSC00273 (Small).JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,580
  • DSC00263 (Small).JPG
    DSC00263 (Small).JPG
    58 KB · Views: 1,428

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Actually Chuck, it wasn't a heater, it was poor man's air conditioning. The farmer who owned this added the cut down JD combine cab, with the squirrel cage blower fan to keep cool. It had a little hydraulic motor to drive it.
The cab is long gone, the owner of the land where it is sitting cleaned up a bunch of junk and the cab went with it. I'd have liked to have gotten the little motor and the fan off of it first, but no big deal.
It also has some other interesting add ons, it's got a hydraulic 2 point hitch, a 3 valve hydraulic system, and here's the wierd one...
There is a sliding, splined coupler between the engine and trans on these things, so the engine or trans can be pulled independently of reach other.
The farmer cut down a pulley to fit between the two halves of the coupler, and welded some brackets on the fuel tank top, and mounted a pump there to run a spray rig!
Unfortunately, to make room for the pulley, they cut the cross bar that ties the single brake actuator on the left side to the linkage on the right side of the tractor, rendering the service brakes useless on the right side.
I'll either have to fab up a drop center crossbar so the pulley can stay, or remove the pulley and find a used tie bar to fix the brakes again.
I also need to cut off that crappy "rollbar" so the rear fenders will be free to move again (they pivot and have little struts at the rear to take shocks to the sheetmetal) and cut off the lower crossbar the hoses are hanging on, and fab up a better hose holder. Might be cool to keep the pulley system, add an additional air compressor or something .

Then I need to find a new front bumper for it too! There are several more
DW10's about 1.5 hours away from me in a salvage yard. 2 even have scrapers. Big plans...
Alan627b
Someday, find something to pull with it and put the hyd. system to good use.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
In case you wondered, the old Luberfiner hanging on the front is a reservoir/ surge tank for the hydraulic sytem. The ability to lift the drawbar should make it easy to hook up to things.
One other addition...there are pieces of hex stock added to the center of the rear hubs. Here's why.
This thing had a dead pony motor for years. Whenever they needed it, they hooked a shaft to the PTO on another tractor and over the "tabs" welded to the rear axle hubs. Spin the wheels. This is how they started it. I guess whenever they parked it, they jacked the rear up with the drawbar and put it on blocks...must have been easier than fixing the pony.:pointhead
I got a alternator off of a #12 grader, which used a gutted generator housing, with a Delco alternator piggybacked over it.A pulley is pressed on the shaft of the old generator where the little fan used to be, and a belt drives the alternator. I think it will fit under the air compressor.
I have an odd idea to put tail lights on this so it can legally be roaded,
I want to find a set of the styled housings off the back of a late 50's-1960's school bus with the arrows in the lenses for a "vintage correct" set of tail lights. They should fit the contours of the fenders if I get some off an old round roof school bus...
Anybody got an old bus body with a set of these they would part with? Know of some in a local junkyard? let me know.
Alan627b

Last edited:

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
Alan thats a great project tractor, im trying to buy an old DW21 that was last used on 05 for a sub divsion. I hope while scrap is down I can get it all straight metal and a strong motor. I like the other equipment in the yard there to what kind of drag shovel in that pic with the short dipper in front of your machine.
Classic Plant and Machinery recently did a story on the DW10 it was quit interesting. Good luck

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I bought that issue, the one following it covered the DW15 and 20. Next issue covers the DW21, and I hope they keep on doing Cat scrapers right up to the 666's. That magazine beats anything in the US.
Project update
The DW10 is safely parked on gravel about 10 miles from home now, no adventures hauling it at all. Just the way I like it. Went out today and drained the cooling system, and tarped the engine. it's supposed to get real cold here tonight...yippee. Thank you, Canada and Alaska, for the sub zero cold coming our way....
Pics tomorrow.
Alan627b

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
It's hard to say for sure what shovel that is, Dave Geis has quite a collection going there.
2 Euc S7's
2 LeT D pulls
2 or 3 early DW10 with LaPlante-Choate scrapers. 1 is being restored now.
DW15 and pan
LeT air drop scraper
Very early A or B pull (widowmaker)
Cat 40 scraper, and D4 sized LeT carryall
2 Koehring Dumptors
933 loader
2 D4 7U dozers, D4D dozer D4 U series pipelayer
D2 with toolbar balde
2u (?) series slidebar D8
212 blade
Bantam dragline, First Gear made a model from it. restored
BE front shovel, restored
P&H mini excavator, made about 35 years before they became popular and anyone else made them. it's cool. Totally restored.
Several other cranes and shovels form Koehring Bantam, BE, Unit, and I'm not sure what all else.
Therer always seems to be something new on the property any time I go out there.
Alan627b

Last edited:

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Pictures as promised

My little toy got to take a ride behind a nice Peterbilt. Thanks to Joe Scwarts for hauling it for me. And thanks to Jeff Jones, he charges me a real reasonable rate for storage, and used his tractor to pull it up the driveway to it's new parking space.

Attachments

• DSC00466 (Small).JPG
    DSC00466 (Small).JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,086
  • DSC00465 (Small).JPG
    DSC00465 (Small).JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,110
  • DSC00464 (Small).JPG
    DSC00464 (Small).JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,088
  • DSC00467 (Small).JPG
    DSC00467 (Small).JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,095
  • DSC00468 (Small).JPG
    DSC00468 (Small).JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,082

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Here is the pulley sandwiched into the coupler, and the brackets welded to the fuel tank to run a pump for a spray rig. More stuff to cut off.
In the first pic, the Luberfiner tank now used as a surge tank for the hydraulic system.
The 3 spool hydraulic system. That's staying.
I've got to repair the rear firewall, they cut it up to make access to the pony motor and belts easier. I'm thinking of modifying a good one to make a removable access to this area.

Attachments

• DSC00471 (Small).JPG
    DSC00471 (Small).JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,076
  • DSC00470 (Small).JPG
    DSC00470 (Small).JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,057
  • DSC00469 (Small).JPG
    DSC00469 (Small).JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,315
  • DSC00472 (Small).JPG
    DSC00472 (Small).JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,077
  • DSC00473 (Small).JPG
    DSC00473 (Small).JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,053
Last edited:

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Here's the 2 point hitch/drawbar they made for it. This will definately be staying! Ought to make hook up real easy. Probably could make a log splitter for this pretty easily too.

Attachments

• DSC00474 (Small).JPG
    DSC00474 (Small).JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,605
  • DSC00475 (Small).JPG
    DSC00475 (Small).JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,066
  • DSC00477 (Small).JPG
    DSC00477 (Small).JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,043
  • DSC00478 (Small).JPG
    DSC00478 (Small).JPG
    81 KB · Views: 1,094
  • DSC00479 (Small).JPG
    DSC00479 (Small).JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,043

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Rear view. That "rollbar" has got to go! The way they have it mounted, it prevents the fenders from being able to move.
I'm thinking of rigging this thing with lights and turn signals. Anybody know of an old 50's-60's era school bus with a good pair of roof mounted lights?
I'm thinking of getting a pair off one of the older round roof buses, those styled "bullet" types with the arrows in the lenses. They ought to fit the curve of the fenders really well.
The ones with "Stop" in the lenses would be the ultimate cool....
Let me know if anybody ever finds some!
Alan627b@hotmail.com