• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Engine speed sensor code

AO299D

Hi got the engine totally rebuilt again and there no blow by anymore but still starts only sometimes and haven't really been able to figure out when it does and does not I just noticed sometimes when starting injection disabled was "on" can anyone help me out why that would be?20240318_184704.jpg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
On larger engines the default setting for the fuel injection system is always disabled when the engine is stopped. Only when the engine is cranking and conditions (such as injection system pressure) are correct does the injection system status change from disabled to enabled and all things being equal at that point the engine should fire up.

Bob Fos

Engine speed primary 240 rpm
Engine speed secondary 241 rpm
Engine primary sensor- detected
Engine secondary sensor- detected
Engine speed sensor is primary
Rail pressure is 5600
Battery voltage 13.0 volts
Injection status disabled is off even when cranking unless unplugged a speed sensor
Still no fire.
Checked all inputs and outputs from ecu went threw this whole machine for 8 hrs.
8 volts to all sensors and inputs will get picked up sensors detected
tone rings good.
has anyone timed a 4.4 acert and mess it up?

Blows black smoke on rev up

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Are you able to let me know what causes injection disabled on.
On a common rai lengine it is usually when Actual Injection Actuation Pressure does NOT reach Desired IAP. That's why I asked if you had DIAP as a separate parameter.
There may also be other parameters such as a lack of engine speed sensor signal.
Get both parameters on the screen and crank the engine. See what results you get.

Bob Fos

So at this point.

I went threw retimed the engine.
Still says injection disabled.
My question how important is it to set back lash. And when they say set back last does this mean loosen off the injection pump and time it back and forth.
I have a new pigtail on order for the new style cat sensor as I don't know if spacing with throw off the no start.

Customer said it ran fine with no injection disabled a year ago and it slowly got worse after the first rebuild. Is there someone else that could be missing.

Also now that it's timed as per the manual it will barley even attempt to start. Unless a decent crank cycle

AO299D

Another question is, the manual says it should run on either speed sensor but we can only get it to start on the secondary speed sensor, if we plug the primary sensor in it will shut down immediately and if we try to start it on the primary speed center it just says configuration pending on the primary speed sensor timing status any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I am trying to understand what you mean when you say it won’t start but then you say it does start with the primary speed sensor unplugged.
How well does it run with the primary unplugged ?
How long does it crank to start with primary unplugged?

AO299D

It won't start if we plug primary or both sensor but if just secondary sensor it starts but not easily