• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Epic Road trip in November!

skyking1

This is not big trucking, but I am putting it here anyway. Move it if you wish.
A friend needs a hand moving from Portland OR to Long Island, NY.
At first I was just going to stuff my canopy and her Subaru, toss it on a one-way Uhaul car trailer, and do the drive.
Now it has changed to a two person team with the dogs in the Subaru, and I will tow the smallest 4x8 enclosed Uhaul and solo drive. I don't want unqualified help towing a trailer.
My wife will probably stay home while we head over, and then fly out and meet me after I ditch the trailer. Then she and I can stop and see some sights on the way home. There are a couple of places in Missouri that she wants to see, Branson and Hamilton, for the Missouri Star Quilt Company.
We are looking at airbnb rather than hotels, and will do it in 5 or 6 nights. I want to stay well under 600 miles a day for planning, as weather can be a factor.
The dates are in early November.
I have a fiberglass canopy for the tow vehicle, an 07 5.9 Ram 3500 SRW 6 speed g56 3.42 tall gears free spin hubs.
I towed this Uhaul trailer two weeks ago across the pass in some snot, clearly a nothingburger and about the same width as the truck.
The drivetrain was completely overhauled in 2017, and the overhead MPG computer became remarkably accurate. I was getting ~17 MPG across the pass @65.
If I get 15 it is a 200 gallon one way trip. The bare truck blocks 20~21 MPG.
PXL_20210410_204718943.jpg

crane operator

Hamilton, for the Missouri Star Quilt Company.

I read this and was like "what's the missouri star quilt company"? And I had to look up where hamilton is. My wife evidently knows all about it. And she can't believe I didn't know about it. And they sell 50-100 million dollars of quilt making supplies a year according to the internet. I'm in the wrong business evidently.

The things I learn on HEF.:rolleyes:

Anyways, be sure to stop by. :)

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
So are the dogs the "heavy equipment" you're transporting or the Uhaul trailer?:p

Sounds like a fun trip!

Tyler d4c

I read this and was like "what's the missouri star quilt company"? And I had to look up where hamilton is. My wife evidently knows all about it. And she can't believe I didn't know about it. And they sell 50-100 million dollars of quilt making supplies a year according to the internet. I'm in the wrong business evidently.

You would have know if you make quilts I bet. Much like my grove crane may be passing its land of creation this year going to my sisters to put up a shop building.

skyking1

HAHA I forgot Grove IL!
I will circle right around it this time. We are coming back across with the RV in a couple of years after we retire and build the new place.

Old Doug

I live close to there i guess its ok but it took over that town . Every thing was bought out and turned into quilting stuff. When we were doing carpentry work we worked around that town some they had a new hardware store its gone now. Nothing aginst the people that are doing stuff like that but it makes a guy fill like he could be pushed out of the place he has spent most of his life.