• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Equipment/Truck files.

Truck Shop

Because of the liability these days it's really important a small business keep accurate records of repairs.
Not just some receipts for a few parts bought. If for any reason a rig is involved in a accident and it becomes
a lawsuit, your lawyers will be happy you have paper work covering repairs. If DOT shows up and audits
there is a file with paper work and inspections. The more paper work the better. So either turn out a work
order on the computer or buy some standard work orders and fill them out with a full list of parts and
description of work. Plus you have part numbers on file and something to show when selling. The reason I
bring this up is a fellow I know is in hot water with DOT-no history.

Below is the type of work order I turn out several times a day.

Attachments

• Page 1.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
  • Page 2.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 30

Tyler d4c

I attended a brake class around Thanksgiving. The instructor claims alot of big fleets are scrapping the equipment when all used up because of being sued after resell for maintenance issues. Seems quite reduculas to me. What ever happened to as-is.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
As the saying goes, cover your arse in paperwork! Might seem like a country bumpkin out here, but I am sure there is more paperwork filed and documentation than most city slickers have in my own doing.
Ctrl + P is my friend.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Beautiful hand writing and content on those files.

I put together a data base when i was running shops as my hand writing is atrocious. Service reports for employees were always a problem. I would usually get something like "checked fluids, tried to start engine and would not start, fixed same." The other might be "operator complained about brakes, fixed." Just a time on and off job and no explanation.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Like my first boss in the shop would say "I don't care what you remember doing if it's not in writing, it wasn't done!" I always tried to keep good records and notes of what I did on a repair. But it never failed that months or years after, the one thing I forgot to write down is the one thing I wanted to know about!