• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Excavator slope work

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
Someone was asking how steep of a slope could an excavator take, and I can't find the thread for the life of me so I'll make a new one.

Would be nice to upgrade to a 5 pin harness if you're going to be doing this kinda stuff all day!

Me in a Cat 385C L having some fun with Komatsu 605-7 trucks on a one wide bench. The right side doesn't look it but it's another 100 or so feet almost straight down before you get to the D11's grade.

The hoe stuck fine but it was hard to stay in the seat even with the seatbelt, and you had to be careful where you threw your weight around and how you dug.

Attachments

• 7926_151379540765_599355765_3188063_4949176_n.jpg
    7926_151379540765_599355765_3188063_4949176_n.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 4,805

golfy

Occupation
Operator
hey bud.. looks like fun!!! bet the counter weight was close to striking the ground.. wonder how all the components like oil sumps etc faired after working on that angle though!!!

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I hate sitting on a slope like that hurts the neck. You know its steep when you can't swing more then 1/2 a bucket up hill.

What are you doing? The only thing I can tell is your making a mess.:D

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
One way would be to pull the material to the bottom of the slope first then pick it up from there where you would be working on the level.

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
What are you doing? The only thing I can tell is your making a mess.:D

The scrapers didn't cut the slope steep enough so I had to go back and pull a bit from the top, and then dig the toe out again.

One way would be to pull the material to the bottom of the slope first then pick it up from there where you would be working on the level.

That's pretty much what I was doing, I'd pull a bit from the top while the truck was going by, then track back down and load on the level.

I freakin love your videos on youtube

Thanks mang.

Aliate

you look about my age, im 24, how did you get into a 385? I see that you are a really good operator, and you take care of the machine.

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
Well I started on a 330 for a couple weeks, then a 375 showed up. A guy came and ran it for two days then said he'd quit if they didn't put him back on a 385, so I said I'd run it.

I toughed it out in the penalty box for a season (slowwww, no fans/very little heat, ate a lot of dust etc) and got good at cutting grade and picking up time anywhere I could (375s are slow so you get really good at minimizing movement). Next season I got an 385C LME and two years later I got the shiny new powerstripe.

Good guess on the age, I turn 25 in June.

Now I'm a foreman o_O

Aliate

Well I started on a 330 for a couple weeks, then a 375 showed up. A guy came and ran it for two days then said he'd quit if they didn't put him back on a 385, so I said I'd run it.

I toughed it out in the penalty box for a season (slowwww, no fans/very little heat, ate a lot of dust etc) and got good at cutting grade and picking up time anywhere I could (375s are slow so you get really good at minimizing movement). Next season I got an 385C LME and two years later I got the shiny new powerstripe.

Good guess on the age, I turn 25 in June.

Now I'm a foreman o_O

Yeah I can see why they made you a foreman, I would have too. People like you are few and far between. I really watch your videos a lot and I cant wait to buy an excavator, when I get anxious about getting in one (which I never have gotten the opportunity to) I watch your videos heh. I like watching the artic trucks getting stuck.