• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Falling Scrap Iron prices

Old Doug

I am going to haul a load of non ferrous this morning . I know it has gone down and i hope i dont have to haul more till the price gos back up . I hope to work on the stuff i have and get it ready for when it gos back up. Gas went back down it was up just a short time ??

Old Doug

Right now they are offering 220/ton (CDN) for over size steel. Im thinking its time to start sending some of my non running cranes in.
I try to move as much stuff as i can when the price is ok you know as well as i do it can drop and not come back for a long time. I have sold more in the last 60 days than i sold last year.

Old Doug

Shred is at $150.00 a ton witch is not bad. I heard copper has took a big hit down. I have been hauling cars for a buddy i have one more load then a load or 2 of lose shred. This place is 20 miles from home 40 miles to the scrap yard. I need to get back to my own cleanup.

Attachments

• IMG_20230521_070230.jpg
    IMG_20230521_070230.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 17

Old Doug

I am going to haul off the last of my aluminum irrigation pipe today. I saved back 7 pipes for some one but they never came to get them. Its not much of a load but it will help in the clean up. They are going to pay 0.65 a pound that is the most i got out of any of it . I had to cut it in 3 foot lengths if i had alot more of it i would have found a better way to cut it. I had a lot of this pipe and sold it to 3 different places every. The first place wanted it in one length the second didnt care but i cut it in half then this place wants to put it in gaylord boxes .

colson04

I am going to haul off the last of my aluminum irrigation pipe today. I saved back 7 pipes for some one but they never came to get them. Its not much of a load but it will help in the clean up. They are going to pay 0.65 a pound that is the most i got out of any of it . I had to cut it in 3 foot lengths if i had alot more of it i would have found a better way to cut it. I had a lot of this pipe and sold it to 3 different places every. The first place wanted it in one length the second didnt care but i cut it in half then this place wants to put it in gaylord boxes .
We have two different places locally for non-ferrous. One place requires that everything fit in a gaylord box. The other place is a lot bigger and uses 20 to 40 yard cans for their stuff so length has never been an issue with them.

Was the irrigation pipe damaged? Around here, farmers are snatching up every stick they can for irrigation pipe and paying more than scrap value for certain. We have a wagon load of pipe that doesn't get used much, but we won't dare get rid of it because it comes in handy.

Old Doug

No it was good but every one here is going to a roll hose. I am not disagreeing with you but in my 40+ years hauling scrap i have heard so many guys crying because something is being scraped but its what it is. Often I think surely some one could use that but after spending a lot of time trying to sell no one wants it.

Old Doug

Some places don't care about length on scrap but the scrap market changes day to day. I have sold stuff to one yard for years one day all the sudden they change and its like why didn't you do this or you should have know this. The scrap deal has been good to me and I am glade I can do it but if I could I get out and never go back I would.

Old Doug

Shred is down to $130.00 a ton . The owner said it should stay there till summer is over then we all had a good laugh.

Old Doug

I hauled 2 loads i had stuff that i hauled in and didnt want to unload it and reload it later on . The price was down to $120.00 for shred . You could tell it was down when i got to the yard they had cleaned up a lot of stuff around there . I was glade to get rid of it but it makes you think about should i stock pile it till it gos back up and will it go back up or how long till it gos back up?

Old Doug

I didnt want to sit around all day yesterday but also didnt think i had enough stuff to make a load . I started loading and ended up with a ok load.

Attachments

• IMG_20230911_064837.jpg
    IMG_20230911_064837.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 31

Old Doug

I went last night and helped a buddy load scrap from a place that is about to be sold. It happens a lot a place will go up for sale it will sell then the sellers will want the scrap hauled off . It then will be a hurry deal but the scrap will be free. The guy cleaning up the place is a good friend that i have know for 40+ years i am trying to get ready to be gone a couple of days but i was glade to help him. The price for shred is $120.00 a ton now.

Old Doug

I hauled a load of shred yesterday it was down to $110.00 i bet it gos down more. Prepared is at $190.00 a ton i have some to cut up its a lot of work and i always wonder if its worth it.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The Chinese are still buying iron ore and their iron ore stockpile is at a 3 year low. Despite the problems in the Chinese economy with property losses and COVID hangovers, their economy is still powering along, seems like a ramp-up in their EV industry is making up for losses in steel demand elsewhere.

I think their railway-building has slowed down a little, but it's still ongoing. However, their sagging property market has reduced the demand for steel in building construction.
But they're spending lots on energy projects and shipping and manufactured metal exports are increasing, so the net effect is little difference in steel demand and use for China.

China takes nearly all our scrap here and demand is steady. Iron ore prices have been forecast to fall to US$85 tonne for the last couple of years - but it hasn't happened.
Iron ore prices rose 4% last week and are around US$117 tonne. This is doing wonders for our economy and for the iron ore miners profits, they don't know what to do with their money, they'll need a Scrooge McDuck sized money bin before long.

I can't see much downside to iron and steel prices - new steel here is like gold, you just about need an armed guard for it!
I cannot believe the prices for it, the cost of steel buildings here has nearly doubled in under 4 years.

Old Doug

I started cutting truck tires of rims this weekend scrap the rims then cut tires can go to trash place. I may have 20 it seems like a lot of work. A buddy came buy yesterday and wanted to look around . We walked around and looked at about everything . I would like to think 4 more loads of shred would get it but i dont know.

Old Doug

The price on shred is up to $150.00 a ton. I am still trying to clean up so late yesterday i started loading a load of stainless steel and a load of shred . I also was piling up boards to burn while i was at it. Its pretty muddy . I wish the weather would hold and nothing else came along so i could haul a lot.

ianjoub

The price on shred is up to $150.00 a ton. I am still trying to clean up so late yesterday i started loading a load of stainless steel and a load of shred . I also was piling up boards to burn while i was at it. Its pretty muddy . I wish the weather would hold and nothing else came along so i could haul a lot.
I will be bringing in my track chains and rollers at some point. What should I call that when I am asking for pricing? Should it bring a fair amount more than shred price?