• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Favorite Mills

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
You can't lose with the Wirtgen, I hear alot of nice things about the roadtec 600 but that comes from people tipped in that direction already. Takes a minute to get the hang of the newer style consoles, setting down with the engine at 1800 rpm was not something easy to handle at first. Believe it or not the only knock off halflane worth a hell was the Dynapac W2000. It would beatup a bomag I'm pretty sure.

If you are heavy with Square yds, the CMI/Terex is worth a look. Heavy to move them though.

csx7006

Anyone have experience with Bomag 2000's? We're looking at getting a bit heavier into the milling side of things and I'm trying to whittle down the manufacturers to entertain. I'm looking at writgen, roadtec, and we're looking for a third. Terex is out since they don't have much support up here in michigan, and Cat is out since their support is garbage after Michigan Cat got bought out (and even the guys that work there tell you not to buy a Cat mill). Not sure if I should look at Volvo, bomag, or dynapac???

Well try out all 3 and see which one you like.

jeffvega

For the wirtgen system the main trick is to relieve them with a hammer when the holder is only partially tight then torque it down the rest of the way. Almost every time you just sink them down with the impact the holder will be in a slight bind which will make the holder come loose once you've milled for a day or two. Doing it this way I've had three or four rebuilds with none coming loose for at least 900 to 1000 hours. Also lots of silver never seize on the threads in the block and shank of the new holder. Hope this advice helps. :drinkup

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Thank you Jeff, I caught a lot of flack over the years about putting grease on the shank of those holders. I had to re explain the hot cold expansion theory 500 times not to mention the water that can get in.

Did they tell you that too at Wirtgen training? just curious.

jeffvega

Yep they did except they say use the brass hammer but that doesn't cut it. Sometimes you'll get it where you think it's tight but as soon as you smack the back of the holder it's loose again. Sometimes you have to work it a little at a time. Tighten then hammer and so on until you get it all the way tight. I think it calls for 430ftlbs but as tight as a 3/4 impact will go is usually good. That's for the newer style large Allen. Also use the little plastic plug that goes in the Allen. It makes it way easier the next time to just stab with a screwdriver instead of cleaning out the bolt, big time saver. Best I've done is about six hours start to finish on a 6'7" drum with 2 people

Last edited:

dg330

Occupation
Paving, Milling Foreman. ALDOT
Hey Guys
Just wanted to update. We are going to the first training on the Volvo MT2000 machine Tuesday. Any questions I should ask the Volvo guys? I'm thinking I'm not going to like this machine. :( How much different is it going to be from the Writgen W1900