• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Final drive oils

8k bill

Occupation
Farmer grazier
Hey fellars, just a question on what oil to use in final drives. Machine is working in extreme conditions blade plowing, hard pulling all day, am I better using the standed 50 grade to-4 or would I be better to go for a ep oil. I have herd ep oils are not good for seals, is this true?:confused thanks in advance. Bill.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If you're talking about a Cat machine here I don't receommend the use of any EP oil in Final Drives, it WILL affect the Toric Rings in the Duo-Cone seals and cause expensive (to fix) oil leaks.
If you're worried about oil for finals for heavy work on a track-type tractor in a hot climate and want an alternative to SAE 50 TO-4 then go for a SAE 60 oil that meets Cat FD-1 spec.