• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

First time used equipment maintanance

littlejoe4

Occupation
construction
I am new to heavy equipment just got my first piece, a Cat 303C CR. I got it at an auction. When first getting a used machine what are the suggestions for what to replace and service without a doubt, I've done the obvious, oil change, air filter change, fuel filter change, and grease all the fittings. What am I missing that should be done when first acquiring a machine. Thanks for the suggestions.

littlejoe4

Occupation
construction
and my engine and equipment knowledge is limitted to riding lawnmowers and cars so if its something crazy suggest taking it to a proffessional, though I would like to do as much as I can myself.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Look in your owner's manual and see what Cat says.The hard part now is finding out the service history of that rig if it wasn't written down in that same manual.If it wasn't, contact the previous owner or maybe the local Cat dealer if it was serviced there.You might strike out--part of the price you pay for buying at auction--you're dealing mostly with the unknown.If you can't get an answer,I would change all the fluids and filters in that rig to be safe.Also might be time for a valve adjustment also which is best left to do by Cat.Might be some more PM stuff--again,read your manual.Good luck.

daman

Occupation
Agriculture,Truck Driver,Mechanic
I'll add give it a good looking over for any stress cracks in booms arms etc, check replace any and all type hoses that are questionable, hydraulic filters and fluid i like changing also who knows when the last time it was done,coolant flush then fill with fresh new anti cavitation additive coolant.

littlejoe4

Occupation
construction
no manual came with it, i'm still waiting for the cat dealer to order me another one, I just want to start working on it now to save time waiting for the manual.

Puffie40

In your service, you never mentioned the hydraulic system. I would at least change the filter out and check the oil level there.

I would spend a couple hours just pokeing around the machine, opening covers, checking bolts for tightness and basically going over every small detail of the machine.

If you haven't done so already, pressure wash the machine before doing this. Washing will reveal problems that would otherwise be overlooked.

Hendrik

First thing is to assume it has been neglected.
How many hours on the machine?
It will need fresh hydraulic fluid and hyd filters, there may be a suction filter in the tank and return filter. Make sure you use the correct hyd oil, there are various grade of oil.
Change the oil in the drive motors.
Blow out the radiator with compressed air.
Check the fan belt for damage/wear.
Adjust the track tension according to the manual.
When greasing make sure to not over grease the slew ring bearing or under grease the slew ring teeth.
You are best of to wait for the manual, it will tell you how to service your machine.
And most importantly don't forget to adjust the clutch.

Last edited:

littlejoe4

Occupation
construction
its got 2600 hr. cut open the old filters to look for stuff that doesn't belong in there? , like metal shavings or something?

Hendrik

Drain water/dregs from bottom of fuel tank.
I would think that most modern bits of equipment have a water separator.
My kub has one built into the filter assembly, with a red plastic ring that is designed to float on water but not Diesel.
Even my old 86 Mitsi truck has a separator.
However it can't hurt to drain the tank to see if there is crud in the bottom of it. These small machines are often filled up with jerry cans and that has the potential to introduce a lot of nasties into the tank.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
However it can't hurt to drain the tank to see if there is crud in the bottom of it. These small machines are often filled up with jerry cans and that has the potential to introduce a lot of nasties into the tank.

You got it mate. I've lost count of how many machines I've had to take the fuel tanks off of them and wash them out with a pressure washer because there's so much crud in there that continually fills the separator unit and those little screens in banjo fittings. And being it's a used machine that you know nothing about, takes very little effort to drain the bottom of the tank and check it out. Even if it doesn't have a drain plug on the bottom, or can't access it, a simple clear piece of vinyl hose to make a siphon to a bucket will quickly tell you how clean the bottom of the tank is. ;)