• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Flat face quick connect won't release

DGODGR

heymccall,
That looks just like the cab on my new 325! If it's not a 325 I'd bet that it's a Cat NextGen. I've been using Crescent wrenches because we also use them to change the valve position on the stick. I could use some of those wrenches for tightening the hoses inside the box housing of the hammer. What website are you sourcing the wrenches? Twenty two tool carriers, and twice as many attachments?! I thought that maybe I had a lot (in both machines and money invested in Stucchi couplers). I'd love to have a chat with you! I'm still hoping to see a reply in my other thread (about pin-grabber couplers) and/or the PM (which included my phone number if that's easier) that I sent you. I'd greatly appreciate it!!

I reached out to Stucchi today and they are sending me an RMA and another pair of VEP17HDL sets to keep me up and running. That's pretty great. Once I return the failed units we will meet with the regional rep to see about what we can do to prevent failures in the future. It sounds like they might recommend putting a swivel in the line. They also hinted at using their new RoT-Lock couplers (not available yet, but they do have them on their website).

heymccall

Yup. 325FL.
I have a thread on here showing how to put a clear screen filter in place of the metal inline screen, rather than changing it on intervals or finding plugged.

Back to the stucchi. That wrench is from McMaster-Carr.

I have VEPHD15, 17 and 21 in service. 99% of the time, it's the seals in the male. And I use them on my 345C with G110 hammer @ 85 gpm, with similar lifespan on the couplers as on my little TB180FR machines.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I am setting up my breaker connections according to your suggestions Heymccall. I got the VEPHDL fittings for the machine and breaker. I am awaiting some additional fittings for the machine. The McMaster tool is enroute. Hopefully all goes well.

westerner

You guys are the pros.
In my shop with low tool change frequency, we just took the damn things out and went back to wrenches. Aint spilling any MORE oil, and the frustration level declined a whole bunch.

DGODGR

Back to the stucchi. That wrench is from McMaster-Carr.

I have VEPHD15, 17 and 21 in service. 99% of the time, it's the seals in the male. And I use them on my 345C with G110 hammer @ 85 gpm, with similar lifespan on the couplers as on my little TB180FR machines.

Stucchi is thinking a couple possible reasons for my failures. One is that my GPM is 1 or 2 GPMs higher than what they recommend for the VEPHDL17 couplers. They are thinking I might need to be using VEP21HDL couplers. Do you have a wrench size for the 21s?
The other possible issue is that I am using 90s on the attachment lines so that I can get the hoses clearly routed around the thumbs (my machines have thumbs attached to them as well). Most of the steel tubes (for the auxiliary hydraulic lines) that the MFRs put on the stick terminate too close to the linkage so that the hose routing around, or through, a thumb puts a weird bind and/or a chaffing point for the hoses. 1" 5,000psi hose is not cheap either....and needing 5' per side makes one think about trying to extend the life of them as much as possible.
That being the case I am also contemplating removing the steel tubes and replacing them with shorter hydraulic lines to raise the termination point (or where one connects the attachment hose to the carrier aux. hydraulics) thus allowing more distance for the hose to route without chaffing or binding.
Seeing as how the Stucchi rep also made comments on the hoses trying to "swivel" I may give your idea (having both males on the carrier) a try. I have always put one of each on there in an effort to make it impossible to get the hoses mixed up (supply and return). Most attachments are easy to connect correctly but the ho-pac requires us to swap sides due to the way that the manifold is on the ho-pac.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I put the male end on the carrier as suggested. The wrench is now $100 including shipping. I was thinking of taking red duct tape and taping the supply side on the hammer and the carrier to keep them from getting confused. Still waiting on parts to get this finished.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
They must hate me.
Confirmation

McMaster-Carr number
0414SKAISER
Delivers Apr 18
1 Open-End Wrench
55 mm Size, 17-1/2" Overall Length
5488A37 1
each 82.11
each $82.11
Merchandise 82.11
Shipping 12.21
Tax 4.93
Total $99.25

As look at yours, this one is longer, maybe that is it

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
My mistake. I have the technology to make it shorter.

DGODGR

But, make sure the VEPHDL are the same hex size. I use the VEPHD and the 55mm is for the 17VEPHD.
HD & HDL are the same dimensions. The only difference is the holes drilled into the female "sheeth" (the threaded nut that threads onto the male) for the locking pin.
heymcall, do you happen to know what the nut size is for the 21s?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Used the Epiroc today. The couplers worked well. The bigger wrench works well. Having the males on the machine is smart and I appreciate the tip, easy to couple like that.

The breaker is pretty impressive, kinda questioning whether that is working correctly. However no doubt it does a great job hitting.

DGODGR

I'm not sure if a seal kit will help with the stuck couplers. In my experience this is usually a result of the pressure not being released, there is debris between the coupler body and the collar of the female side, or the vibration has caused the balls to wear divots into the coupler body and then the balls won't roll correctly thus prohibiting the couplers release. All have been talked about above. That being said, your sales pitch has revived this thread.
I have had (12) pairs of -21 VEPHDLs on order for months now. The males came in fairly quickly but the females have not. They are absolutely worthless with out their counterpart. Has anyone else had trouble getting Stucchi product?

heymccall

I don't seem to have any trouble. 2 days or less for VEP HD 17 SAE & VEP HD 21 SAE. The HDL females did take a week. Most of mine aren't "L". Running them for years now, and the only application I got the "L" for was large hydraulic breakers. A short wrench (not the crappy Stucchi aluminum one) makes snugging and loosening much easier.

I just got the HDL females 3 weeks ago (1 week lead time, they had).

DGODGR

I don't seem to have any trouble. 2 days or less for VEP HD 17 SAE & VEP HD 21 SAE. The HDL females did take a week. Most of mine aren't "L". Running them for years now, and the only application I got the "L" for was large hydraulic breakers. A short wrench (not the crappy Stucchi aluminum one) makes snugging and loosening much easier.

I just got the HDL females 3 weeks ago (1 week lead time, they had).
That's great! Where did you source them from?

heymccall

I use Wojanis out of Coraopolis, PA.
Since I use quite a few 21 & 17 VEP, all SAE thread, they usually have them on the shelf. They don't stock the "L", but, then again, I've never bought "L"s until last month.

heymccall

If you suck at keeping the caps and plug on them, or if they back off in use, the Oring and backup ring in the male fret and erode. They are serviceable. Nothing in the females are serviceable.
And we run males on both machine circuits because, if you have a female on the machine, everything twists while tightening, requiring two wrenches and some mumbling.