• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Float digging in

Farmer

Hi all,

I know its a silly question and i think i know the answer but ill ask anyway.

I was repolishing a road today that was maybe 45 degrees downslope, 20 degrees across the hill, i had a full blade and all was going great until i hit a soft spot on the downhill side. The blade dug in and before i knew it i had a deep, steep hole in my road, i have managed to put some dirt back in the hole but now its soft and will prolly be a problem later. The dozer dug in when the road leveled a little.

My question is, as i only have angle and no tilt, how do i fix it? and how do i stop it from happening again?

BTW, this isnt the first time i have done this but this is on a road i use every day.

Iron Horse

I'm not sure I understand what you mean . Were you using the float position whilst going forward ? If so , float on a dozer is for back blading to smooth things out . On a loader you can use float going forwards into a stock pile but a loader bucket it designed to do so without digging in .

hvy 1ton

In float once a dozer blade catches an "edge" it will dig and some. The weight of the material forces the blade down and with no hydraulic power to counteract it, a big hole is the normal result. Float works good for back blading, not so much in the forward direction.

Farmer

Iron, yes i meant going forward, floating forward goes really well unless im going steep then a sudden change of angle or a soft spot, then she catches and before i can stop, oops i have a new hole!!

So i cant get sideways, how would you guys fix it, its too steep to dig up, but if i dig down i make it deeper?

dozerdave

Hi Farmer,

Dig out the soft material and waste it, then backfill it with material that will compact and make a solid surface. If you have some rock handy start with that. The best way to stop that from happening again is forget about your float position unless you are in reverse or on concrete.

WesternStar

You are going to have to practice controlling the blade yourself. Working on your own property is the perfect place to learn, if you screw up, you only have to answer to yourself.
Now I'm not really sure what is happening with your road here, are you having a problem getting enough material to fill the hole? If this is the case, start a reasonable distance back from the hole and shave and inch or so off the top of your road, slowly building a bladefull to push into the hole.

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
Iron, yes i meant going forward, floating forward goes really well unless im going steep then a sudden change of angle or a soft spot, then she catches and before i can stop, oops i have a new hole!!

So i cant get sideways, how would you guys fix it, its too steep to dig up, but if i dig down i make it deeper?

The road is too steep to push uphill?
Or all of your dirt got pushed over the edge of the road and the banks too steep?

Farmer

Thanks guys, got a chance to play some more and filled the hole, i took several loads from further up and filled it.

then pushed extra away, then spent 10mins packing it, i think its good now