• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 300 industrial velocity governors

mattyt1984

I need a governor on my 300 Ford industrial which powers a chipper. It originally had a belt driven but I've found these cost about 1000 dollars. I came across velocity governor for 80 dollars. How do these work? I just need engine to run at about ,3000 to 3500 rpm but when it gets under load it increases the fuel.

BobCatBob

The governor (called a Hoof Governor) is controlled by air speed…..it can be adjusted with a screw on top. I’ve had hit or miss luck with them (the internal spring can be shot/rusted or gummed up). I recently added an electronic RPM rev limiter on an Industrial Ford 1.6L….works like a charm.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/PNX-600

Tyler d4c

Go find your local combine junk yard most all the old ones that used a gas engine had the givener you need on them a 4400 deere comes to mind.

icestationzebra

The governor (called a Hoof Governor) is controlled by air speed…..it can be adjusted with a screw on top. I’ve had hit or miss luck with them (the internal spring can be shot/rusted or gummed up). I recently added an electronic RPM rev limiter on an Industrial Ford 1.6L….works like a charm.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/PNX-600

Inherently these differ in their method as one limits air/fuel and one shuts of the ignition. Obviously cutting ignition briefly when someone doesn't make a shift early enough isn't a big deal, but would this be OK when ridding the rev limiter for minutes at a time? Wouldn't this lead to burning fuel in the exhaust manifold? Plus it isn't adding fuel to deal with RPM droop.

I see this kit with a digital controller and actuator - would this work? I have no experience with these.
https://www.amazon.com/Knowtek-Set-...7e6916&pd_rd_wg=WFbe9&pd_rd_i=B083K6Y3C4&th=1

ISZ

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I use that style governor all the time but that one on Amazon is a Chinese copy. The real deal is made by Governors America Corp, see if you can find a dealer near you for the genuine article. They are good but take some fiddling to set up, and if you are not into governor theory you might want to throw it away before you succeed.

mattyt1984

Does anyone have to a diagram of how to install. It has what appears to be 2 ports to connect but the Chinese replica doesn't come with instructions.

mattyt1984

That may work and I see aftermarket versions available. Hardest part by the looks of it would be drilling bellhousing for tach.

I do all ready have the velocity governor. Does any one have pics of how they get installed? Mine is bolted on but I'm not sure where the 2 threaded ports get connected? The Chinese replica doesnt come with instructions.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I thought you were posting you already had the electronic gov. It is not hard to drill and tap a hole above the ring gear. I did one once that had pre threaded holes for a MPU but nobody could find one with the right threads, it was easier to drill and tap my own than to keep hunting.