• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Frozen Cat Starters

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
All I can throw out there is that I have seen the vibration from moblie crushing plants do all sorts of weird things to diesel engines. Can't recall anything specifically related to starter motors but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

@John C. - did you ever find out whether it was a jaw, impact, or cone crusher.?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I forgot to ask. Had other things going on.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I will say my starter on my Cat 977K does same thing when it gets to below zero. I tapped on mine and it will turn over and the bendix will disengage when it attempts to start but keep spinning until I tap it again or it slowly stops spinning. On the first try of starting it didn't want to stop trying to start when I let off the switch. Temperatures above 20 to 30 it doesn't have a problem.