• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Galion 850 ?’s

Razorsedge2003

What about a Champion 740a? Cummins is common but what other equipment has that transmission? Looking to upgrade from the old JD 640a.

Silveroddo

I'm not positive but I'm not aware of any other equipment that shares transmission with those machines. When you get into the late 80's I believe the Champion transmission are fairly standard, prior to that I think there's about 4 options.
Neither machine has great support at this point. Between the 2 of them I tend to favor the Champion but if its something a guy is going to be doing long term old Cats are going to be where your product support is.

Razorsedge2003

Oh I understand that. Cats are double the money for basically the same machine. How many hours until they start having major engine and trans with the Galion and Champions? Assuming they were taken care of.

Silveroddo

Properly maintained I've seen several 12k+ hour champions with the 8 speed trans that I know are original. I'm sure with proper maintenance they probably go further than that, but I've seen 12k.
I had a relatively low hour Dresser 850 for a few years, (5500 hrs) it was a nice machine but when I went to sell it I had a guy look at it that knew them pretty well and there was something about those transmissions that needed an update or something and he didn't have much interest in performing it himself eventually, had it already been done he wasn't afraid of it. That machine was a '92 I believe. I've seen similar Dressers with 8-9k hrs and all original, you never seem to see them with crazy hours though, like 17-18k.
This is all anecdotal from my observations looking at these same machines, hopefully some guys with more technical knowledge chime in.

Razorsedge2003

What about mid 90’s Deeres or Dresser 850’s. Basically what I’m thinking is a more modern grader, 12’ blade, decent cab with a/c, powershift trans. Something I can work on and figure out most problems with my knowledge and still have available parts. But less than $40,000 US. So, anything but a Cat because of the premium. I don’t think I can swing that premium $ for at least 5 years.

Welder Dave

Champion went with Cummins engines and their 8400 transmission sometime in 1984. According to someone familiar with Champion, and who I think worked for Champion, over 25,000 of these transmissions were built. Generally considered pretty bullet proof unless really high hours. Can have some electrical gremlems but from what I've seen on this forum, other people know how to fix most of the common issues. I really like the trans. except it's very hard to read what gear you're in. This is a common issue but fairly minor. Jade Equipment are probably the best place for support as they specialize in Champion. Not cheap but have most parts available. If you have close to $40,000 to spend you should be able to find a pretty good Champion or even Volvo branded Champion. A comparable Cat would likely be close to double the cost. I think JD would be somewhere in the middle price range but I've read of some trans. issues too. It probably depends on the specific model and serial number.

Last edited: