• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gehl 6635 Deutz

jcg

I would like some opinions on the Deutz engine used in the Gehl 6635 sxt '98 model. I am looking at a machine with around 6000 hours on it. Are theses a long-lived engine or will I be looking at a major rebuild soon? 6000 seems like a lot of hours. So please chime in all Deutz owners!!! Drive motors, pump, seals look ok but an asking price of $14,000 seems a bit high to me especially if the Deutz is on its way out. Thanks guys.

Grrtt

I'm surprised you haven't had any responses... I'm not too sure which Deutz you are talking about, but the company I work for has several machines with Deutz engines. They don't seem to have any more or less problems than any of the other engine manufacturers. We have them in scissor and stick lifts, telehandlers, and skid steers. Some of the oil cooled ones you have to remember to change the timing belts. They are an interference motor, so when the belt brakes, pistons contact valves and it's not pretty.

crewchief888

in the oil cooled 1011 duetz engines, timing belts have a recommended change interval of ~3000 hrs.

(fortunately) if the belt breaks, it bends the pushrods, i havent seen a bent valve in one yet.

:drinkup