• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie Z45/25J Secondary boom won't come down

Billy B.

Hello, I'm new to this site and hoped someone could give me advice on why the secondary boom on a Genie Z45/25J won't come down. It will go up but will not come down using either the ground controls or the controls in the basket. This boom has 2 hydraulic cylinders that raise/lower it with two connecting hoses between the two cylinders. When I toggle the switch I can see the one hydraulic hose leading to the cylinder "stiffen" for a brief moment but nothing else happens. All other cylinders work fine. Since both of the hydraulic cylinders to the secondary boom have counterbalance valves, I'm guessing that that is where the problem is. Has anyone else had this issue? An additional concern is that the basket is 20' in the air and I worry that if I remove one of the counterbalance valves it'll come crashing down. I would certainly appreciate any suggestions. Thank you, Bill

Roadoil

You need to check your hydraulic pressures on the extension and retraction of the boom. Retraction takes more pressure usually.

Adjust your relief valves for each to spec.

Idk Genie but that's where I would start.