• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genset 3412 has no communication with CAT ET

ibrahemawd

I have generator 3412 with engine 3412 sta RTY prefix and there is two 9 in connector one with ECM and another with EMCP4
the problem is I can communicant with the emcp4 by cat et but I cant communicat wit the ecm with the cat et , I dont know is there any converter can used to communicat

ibrahemawd

I have generator 3412 with engine 3412 sta RTY prefix and there is two 9 pin obd connectors, one with ECM and another with EMCP4 ,the problem is I can communicant with the emcp4 9pin obd connector by cat et but I cant communicat wit the ecm 9 pin obd connector with the cat et , I dont know is there any converter can used to communicat or is any one make communication with 3412 ECM befor and how?

Zewnten

Is the EMCP communicating with the engine? If yes may have a wiring issue w the comm port. If not then I’d be looking at the harness at the ECM.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I have generator 3412 with engine 3412 sta RTY prefix and there is two 9 pin obd connectors, one with ECM and another with EMCP4 ,the problem is I can communicant with the emcp4 9pin obd connector by cat et but I cant communicat wit the ecm 9 pin obd connector with the cat et , I dont know is there any converter can used to communicat or is any one make communication with 3412 ECM befor and how?
Can you post a full Serial Number please. That will allow me to find the correct electrical schematics for both the engine and the generator end.

Can you also post photos and give a list of wire colours & Pin Numbers/Letters at the circular 9-pin Deutsch connector end of the cable you are using on your Communication Adapter. I think that the engine Diagnostic Connector and the EMPC4 might require a different Part Number of cable. Also if there is a tag with a Part Number on the cable post that as well. Some photos of your Comms Adapter and cables would also be welcome.

ibrahemawd

Can you post a full Serial Number please. That will allow me to find the correct electrical schematics for both the engine and the generator end.

Can you also post photos and give a list of wire colours & Pin Numbers/Letters at the circular 9-pin Deutsch connector end of the cable you are using on your Communication Adapter. I think that the engine Diagnostic Connector and the EMPC4 might require a different Part Number of cable. Also if there is a tag with a Part Number on the cable post that as well. Some photos of your Comms Adapter and cables would also be welcome.
Wire colour and pin letter at 9. Pin connector
Green Pin A
Black Pin B
Blue pin H
Yellow pin j

Attachments

• 20240106_134435.jpg
    20240106_134435.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20240106_134517.jpg
    20240106_134517.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20240106_134839.jpg
    20240106_134839.jpg
    1,009.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240106_134928.jpg
    20240106_134928.jpg
    825.4 KB · Views: 11

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Thank you for those photos. They make things much clearer.
What model of Caterpillar Communication Adapter are you using.?

The cable you are using is not correct to connect to an engine for diagnostic purposes. Firstly the Communication Adapter needs to receive its power from, and be grounded back to, the engine electrical system.

The pin connections for the Diagnostic Connector shown in your photo of the engine are listed below. The pinouts are as follows: -

Pin A - engine Batt+
Pin B - engine electrical system ground.
Pin C - CAN shield
Pin D - CDL (+)
Pin E - CDL (-)
Pin F - CAN A (-)
Pin G - CAN A (+)

For engine diagnostics you will require to power the Communication Adapter using Pins A & B.
Communication for diagnostics is by using the Cat Datalink on Pins D & E.

I will send you the electrical schematics for both the engine and the EMCP4. They may assist you.

1704553108647.png

ibrahemawd

Mr. Nige, first I want to thank you for your interest in responding to my message, and for the attached files. Most likely tomorrow I will connect the fcar f7s-g scanner and check there is communication with the engine ecm test by using the connection method shown in the drawing. Finally, I would like to thank you again, may God bless you.