• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

gin pole diy design tips

trombeur

gin pole diy design tips:

Hi, for personal reasons we thought of creating a simple lifting device which I see that many of you use it often. I believe it is used in the oil industry as a lifting device. I think it's called a gin pole, which is a rudimentary crane equipped with pulleys and a winch, hoists etc. we would need a simple one to install on an agricultural tractor or if we find a robust axle to build on a chariot type trailer, how should we design it to make it safe and functional, what material should we use? I think it works like a lever so we will have to avoid letting it tip over, the capacity would be 2 tonnes, the useful lift would be around 2.5, maximum 3 meters under the hoist hook, any ideas, any implementation suggestions, how would you make it functional and safe, thanks.

img_0610_2-jpg.403829

imga0313-jpg.135481

img_0354-jpg.403832

img_0353-jpg.403831

Welder Dave

I wouldn't be lifting much with the one on the tractor. The 3pt. hitch won't hold anything, it will lift up when the tractor tilts back as 3 pt's. are designed to float in operation. Some industrial tractors have down pressure but not small utility tractors.

Old Doug

How big of a tractor do you have 2.5 tons is a lot of weight when you get it up in the air. I started off with a 3/4 ton pickup with gin poles . I turned it over and had it on its side several times lifting 2 tons. It would move a ton really well. I have a 2 ton IH truck now its better i am not sure what it will lift and tote. The pickup was a lot more handy it was a lot more maneuveradle and easier to get in and out of the cab.

Old Doug

This was kind of a dream of mine to build and have this i have used it a lot but looking back as soon as i had it going i scrapped the other one it may have been a mistake . Then i got a skid steer to lift and move stuff witch is a lot better.

Attachments

• IMG_20240131_063457.jpg
    IMG_20240131_063457.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 19

trombeur

Do you think I could put it on a chariot trailer made with a sturdy truck axle and a sturdy drawbar? Can I attach it to the tractor when needed without changing the shape of the tractor? Do I make the frame with UPN U-profiles? without distorting the structure of the tractor?
how should I size it

Crane+in+ancient+Greece.jpg

1024px-Trispastos_scheme.svg.png

1280px-3U2A6305.jpg

Welder Dave

You need enough counterweight to prevent tipping backwards. I'm sure there are formulas to calculate this based on the angle of the gin poles. An engineer could be a great help to figure out the safe working load. Guessing could be disastrous.

trombeur

It's not that I have to lift it much, I have to lift it on one side just enough to tow it and drag it onto the road. The truck with the crane can't get in and it gets bogged down otherwise I'll have to rent an excavator. Instead, with this system I lift one side, perhaps in the part that it touches the ground, I put a pallet like a sled under a platform to make it easier to drag and prevent it from getting entangled, thanks

uw48UbBl.jpg

resize.php