• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Good Brand/models of older telehandlers

BAREIN

I'm in the market for a telehandler, thinking around 8000# model. Machine will not be used much so i would like a purchase price of around $20k. What are some of the good one's to keep an eye out for? If i was suggesting to someone a good budget skid loader i would tell them a Case 1845C, pretty reliable, not a nightmare to work, little electronics and good parts availability used and new. So what one's should i be looking for?

barklee

Lull 844C. Skytrak 8042, Terex 844 or 842, Gradall 534D-9. There are a ton of all these machines around and parts are plentiful. All very reliable machines and easily acquired in your budget.

BAREIN

Lull 844C. Skytrak 8042, Terex 844 or 842, Gradall 534D-9. There are a ton of all these machines around and parts are plentiful. All very reliable machines and easily acquired in your budget.

Good info, thanks

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
My Ol' Blue is a 1998 Gradall 534D-6, 6K capacity, I bought new. She's been a good ol' girl and always was there for the task at hand. I would suggest an older Gradall but that's just my experience.

BAREIN

How many foot does your 6k reach? Have you ever set trusses with it? One thing i like about some of the 6k models is the fact that i might be able to transport with a goosneck deck over.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The 534D-6 reaches 36'. I have never set trusses with it because trusses aren't that common in my area, or at least they weren't 10 years ago when I was in the building business.

However it did lift many a bundle of studs, decking and sheathing 2-3 stories. Also have a man basket that's handier than a shirt pocket.

It's been a good machine, kept it around for sentimental reasons and the occasional job that requires elevation. On a large project that has a lot of storm sewer, it's a great machine for layout of materials.

Mine has a quick tach and there is truss boom attachments that enable the machine to get more height/reach.

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
The Terex 8042 model has the heritage of the Square Shooter (although mine doesn't have that square shooter feature).

Some folks like the Gradall's and many on here love their Lulls.
Have rented on many occasions the original Gradall's, seemed quite reliable and capable: the yard folks said the later models weren't like their originators....also they mentioned the original machines 'ate steer tires'

The gravel bucket attachment helps fill in leach lines etc when the loaders cant get near the edge of the ditch. Yeah it is a bit slow for this kind of work, but it does save the job. Man basket quite useful too. If you can procure with attachments, that would be helpful.