• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Got juice? Yeeaahhhh ;-)

Hotwheels81

Anybody on here get to play with bigger iron?

This is one of several K-50 cummins 1250kw I babysit, the company I'm working for has everything from 6kw light towers to these big ole girls...

8E4A8F4F-7A4A-42B2-86AE-04B2F97554DE.jpg

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Well where I worked we did have some of the Cat Gensets, the old school D379, D398, and one of the D399 16 cylinder version. As for the Cummins K-50 worked on and around it's little brother in loader applications, originally called KT 1150 that was renamed the K-19 when they went to liters from cubic inches. Also rebuilt a naturally aspirated Cummins 1710 in a genset that had spun a cam bearing. Last two gensets I worked on were a bit smaller a Perkins 4 cylinder powered on and a 3-53 Detroit. Both these were almost scraped as both engines had been poorly stored letting water get in exhaust. Managment just doesn't seem to understand how to properly store things. Runs one day they unhook them and just stick out back till they need them again.

Hotwheels81

We have several old K-19's! Pretty sure 2 diesel and one natural gas... The nat gas is running on a site a couple hours from my house, quite the beast!

The K-19 tho is a more of a red headed step child to the K-50, the K-30 V-12 is it's lil brother.... We have a newer QSK-30 800KW and an older K-30 1000KW... Quite entertaining to fire one up... The K-50's sure roll coal when you hit the transfer switch and they go from off to 1800rpm and drop 800kw's of load on em in under a minute.... I need to get some video of it....

Apparently we have a Perkins somewhere in our fleet but I've never laid hands on it, I do get to deal with 28kw and 40kw arrow nat gasser units and some 3406 nat gassers.... Pain in my arse! I'm still looking for some how-to books on nat gas stationary engines, my training for them has been trial and error so far and I'm getting tired of it.