• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grease turning to a liquid

Legdoc

I have been using CONOCO EP 3% moly grease and continue to notice a liquid always running out of my grease guns. It is the same color as the grease. When I open a new cartridge to put into the grease gun there is no liquid. Any ideas?

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
The grease is seperating. The lighter greases tend to do this more often than the thicker ones, especially with warmer temperatures. Also tends to happen when the gun has been sitting for awhile. Grease quality would also make a difference.

If you pull the plunger back on the grease gun, you can take the end off and stir the grease inside the gun with a screwdriver, rod, or whatever. As long as there hasn't been alot of leakage, it shouldn't affect the lubricating abilities of the grease too much. If the leakage is excessive, I would put in another tube of grease to be on the safe side.

How long does your gun normally sit between uses?

Legdoc

I would think the CONOCO grease was a quality product. It may be time to find another product! The leaking is a PITA.