• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Great Inexpensive old Loaders

petersfamilytru

I don't have a lot of experience with wheel loaders, but I do own an old John Deere 644B and I use it for a huge variety of work. It doesn't look all that great and it's not the most comfortable, but it runs great.

I suspect there are other loaders that have a great following... Does anyone have any specific models they really like? I've heard the old Terex loaders can be great runners for not much cost!

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
The Trojan Z series loaders are nice. I have 3 of them, used just for snow. I also have a terex 72-31B that i switched out the Detroit for a 4 BT cummins. The new ones are nice with the ride control, heated seats and what not, but these old ones dont die.

cat320

Charter Member
Mike was that an easy switch with the 7231-B must run a hell of alot better and more power plus cold weather starts must be easier? you will have to post some pics of her.

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
It wasn't to bad considering it was the first time we had done it. We had to fabricate the motor mounts, and exhaust system. It fires right up in the cold, nice and quiet. No more screaming Detroit's I had enough of them in my younger days. I've been running Terex Loaders for about 25 years. I had 3 at once. I prefer to plow in the Komatsu WA250.

iron kid

Occupation
owner 12 man team
looking a 644 b but the trans is out any info on what it take to rebuild or replace

iceberg210

Speaking of old loaders I'm looking at an old 544B. Anybody have any ideas, opinions or stories on that machine? The machine I'm looking at is a bit long in the tooth, and has seen her fair share of hours but looks in ok shape. Any particular things to watch out for etc??

mikey531

I owned a 544 (no letters) I think it was '73 It was used to unload salt from the hold of ships in Portland. It had a rust problem. I bought it with a blown engine and had a new one put in. It served me very well for 8 years mostly for plowing snow in my parking lot. The only problem I had was the shaft from the transmission to the pump chewed up the spline. I made a bushing and cut two keyways in it and turned down the pump shaft so everything fit back together and as far as I know it is still going. I sold it 10 years ago.

bignorms32

Occupation
Snow pusher
Ive got a problem with an older trojan loader. anyone know why i would have good power in all the reverse gears but no power in the forward gears? someone said there are adjustments and even one on the converter?? When should the rans fluid be checked? running warm? engine off warm? running cold? engine off cold?

grz29

I operate an old trojan 3000,they tell me that is what it is.Screaming detroit sucks,I also do all the work on it,no shop period,anyone know where I can get a manuel for it,thanks

quackattak

I have an old 644c, retired the loader 2 years ago (large dairy). Work outgrew the loader, been replaced with 3 Cat 980c's. Had the trans rebuilt about 6 years ago and it was pretty expensive. Finally parked it when the power steering quit working. Not a real mechanic friendly machine.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The biggest issue with Deere wheel loaders is the center joint. If you feel a big clunk when you pick the bucket off the ground or when you shift between forward and reverse, you should stay away from it. Otherwise they are no different than any other old loader.

Good Luck!

goodearth13

Occupation
Patrol Man for Sioux County
Manuals for Your Old Machinery

If any of you need manuals for your loaders or any other machinery ebay has gobs of manuals cheap. Go ebay, business & industrial, construction equipment, then to manuals. Good Luck
C Ya, patrol Man (Dan) goodearth13 :usa

diggn4alivn

Occupation
Loader Operator
We've got a couple of Cat 966's from the 70's kickin around at our company still. Hate when I have to run them the odd time but they just wont break and keep going strong!