• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Greetings from the beautiful Pocono Mountains! (NE PA)

Iron Dinosaur

Hello Friends:

I actually signed up for HEF several months ago, but did not know this discussion category existed!

Senior members have answered a few questions I have posted in past months, so thank you very much for your help to date!

So, about me - I bought my house in the Poconos about 3-1/2 years ago now, not long before Covid started and everything went haywire. I believe it was originally a hunting cabin (built 1903), and it has very pretty and very large trees all over, including beetle kill Ash trees and some kind of big conifers. It's 20 acres, and the dream is to improve many things, landscaping, deal with dangerous trees, remove stumps, build a garage, etc...

Around 2-1/2 years ago, I found an old Cat 955K (85J serial #, early 70's(?)) and bought it, knowing it had some issues, but for a reasonable price under $6k. I clearly need more help with it than I even believed at the time, and while I have no official experience as a mechanic, I am not completely helpless as a mechanical engineer. Engine runs fine, hydraulics work fine, undercarriage is solid, maybe a few bottom rollers chewed up, nothing fatal - main issue is clutches and the final drive on the right side.

Thank you to All who contribute to this site; it is much appreciated.

Best,

Keith