• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grinders.

56wrench

I knew of a young guy about 20 miles over from where i grew up that was killed when a grinder disc exploded and pierced his heart. It was about 40 years ago. I only buy good brand name discs. I feel the risk is less and the extra cost is worth it. I find that the ‘good’ discs usually do a better/quicker job anyway

Old Growth

I dunno what it is about those discs, but if you whack yourself open with one it takes FOREVER to heal.
A normal cut will take 1-2 weeks to heal, it a dang grinder/vip wheel cut will take a month or two to heal and be hard and sensitive also.
Something about the stone or fiber in them, I guess.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Well, we gotta look at the wounds. Normally we get "cut" on this or that. Never really affects the meat. Couple stitches, skin scars together, good to go.
With grinders, we get "tore up" everything is ripped and shredded down past the fat and into the meat. That's what takes so long. Muscle and tendon don't grow near as fast as skin.