• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grouser Re-build

wosama931b

Occupation
Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
Hey HEF, Has anyone had experence welding new bars on the grousers, i have tripel bar grousers and they are worn down to the bolt head,
what type of steel do i need, and how big a welder. I 'am starting to remove the grouser's to get redy for new track's, I though i could weld on
1/2 x 1/2 bars to get a little more traction, any advice will be helpful. sam

JeremiahSr

Occupation
Vice Pres./General man./Technician
on dozers with a single grouser this is the cost effective way to go but triple gouser? i would price new pads for your machine. after market parts are still good and very cheap. ecspecially if you consider the streel bar, oxy/acet, grinding wheels, weld rods or wire and all the time it takes to get each and every bar stock welded on to each and every grouser.....i think you would be wasting alot of your time and money my friend.

wosama931b

Occupation
Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
Hello JGS Parts/ JeremiahSr, The Grousers are 14" on the 931b Cat, 3 bars on each. 36 on each side. I have more time than money right now, and the expence of new track and bolts, and master link are a lot of $$$bread. Also i need to weld a crack in the bucket. What type of welder would work best?? thanks, sam

shopguy

Yea i have done it several times on singles and the pads still on the tractor but with the pads off and bolts to buy anyway i would look into new pads before i did 500 feet of welding to add 1/2 in .of bar. I think i still have a set of 14 in. triples with 1in dozer grousers welded on the middle bar still on fair rails in my scrap pile if you can use them let me know.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
As above, single grouser track shows normally respond well to re-grousering. I have major doubts if a triple grouser shoe could be economically rebuilt, although taking into account your present economic circustances it may be possible. You'll have to crunch the numbers for your circumstances.

This is a link to the bars we use - www.dura-tuff.com

wosama931b

Occupation
Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
Thanks HEF guys, I think that the cost of re-grousing the machine would be about the same as what i can buy the new grousers for, after looking at the price of the bar and welding about 503 feet and as slow as i am, the welding thing is not a good idea for me. I'am doing all the labor myself so far, i guess that will have to be my savings, if i was a great welder and had some material, i would give it a shot. Thanks for bring me back to reality, sam.

61BG

It it was me,I would add a bar to only one of the three grousers. This would cut your welding & time down by 2/3s. Also you would only need a 3rd amount of flat bar & welding rod. It would then become a single grouser instead of a triple pad. I use to run an AC loader with singles from the factory. They just dont need to be 2 1/2" tall like the singles are,go with 1 1/2" flat bar.
Just my 2 cents.

06Pete

If money is tight I would try welding rebar on 1 or 2 of the grousers I have seen it done and they only welded both ends on one side about 4 inches in and the center on the other side about 4 inches. So that would be like 12 inches of weld per grouser and unless you are in real rocky terain that should be enough. I probably would not do this to a machine that was paying the bills but for a farm machine it will save a lot of money and should be fine. I would use 7018 and be sure to weld the ends good.