• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grove RT-59S

renli3d

oops! I read it.
Yes you have 8800 maximum pull on that winch and it will probably be smooth through ~5000.
Most of the time you will want single part.
Here's a question for you. If I have the boom down so it's parallel with the ground, can I use the hoist to pull horizontally? I would think not, but thought I'd ask. This would come in handy if I was trying to unload a big crate from an enclosed trailer and I used the crane hoist to pull the crate out to the liftgate so I can lift it traditionally. The crates would be perhaps 3,000 lbs at the most. I was planning on attaching a cheap harbor freight winch to the front of the crane to do this but if I can use the main crane hoist that would simplify things.

Last edited:

renli3d

Here's a question for you. If I have the boom down so it's parallel with the ground, can I use the hoist to pull horizontally? I would think not, but thought I'd ask. This would come in handy if I was trying to unload a big crate from an enclosed trailer and I used the crane hoist to pull the crate out to the liftgate so I can lift it traditionally. The crates would be perhaps 3,000 lbs at the most. I was planning on attaching a cheap harbor freight hoist to the front of the crane to do this but if I can use the main crane hoist that would simplify things.
I googled it and it looks like OSHA prohibits using a crane to drag a load.

skyking1

Yeah, it's not a good thing to do on any of the equipment. It's designed to pick loads up that are not encumbered and pick them straight up. Side loading and end loading like you're talking about is just experimenting with how a break things.

crane operator

Here's a question for you. If I have the boom down so it's parallel with the ground, can I use the hoist to pull horizontally? I would think not, but thought I'd ask. This would come in handy if I was trying to unload a big crate from an enclosed trailer and I used the crane hoist to pull the crate out

Good luck dragging that block horizontally into a trailer to drag a load out. Its not going to happen.

What I do is just attach the crate to one of the big lugs on the front of the crane carrier (chain/strap), and then just drive the box truck ahead if I'm on outriggers. Or if your still on rubber back the crane up, until its on the liftgate, and then pick it off.

renli3d

That's a great tip, thank you. I bought a pallet puller attachment from tractor supply for $50 that I can attach to the pallet to do what you recommended.