• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Guinea Pig

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
I was going to research the alternator by part number. It is part of the Kubota engine assembly, not the chinese company's unit. I would be surprised if it is not internally regulated. As I said, I will research it first though.

There is an alignment issue with the tensioner arm that holds the idlers. I have come up with a solution. I will post up with pics when I finally get back to it and effect the repairs. May be tomorrow or Monday. STAY TUNED :D
Post up the engine model and alternator info when you have it. It's probably going to be one of the standard 3cyl Kubota kit engines that are in the Bobcat mini-tracks or light towers, so I probably have a wiring diagram somewhere on my computer.

ianjoub

My Kubota owners manual that came with the machines list engine models

D1005_E4 3 cyl
D1105-E4 3 cyl
D1305-E4 3 cyl
V1505-E4 4 cyl

They are all 12v, 480w generators according to the manual.
I have a wiring diagram in the book as well.
I do not have the machine in front of me to ID which engine it is at the moment but there is only one wiring diagram for all models leading me to believe they are all the same except for the one extra wire for the 4tth glow plug on the 4th cylinder. What I do not understand is why they did not bother to wire in the charging circuit portion. Maybe it is in there tucked away and just not hooked up. It is currently like the arctic tundra here in FL (at least to us thin blooded folk). I may wait for 2 days until it gets back up above 70F to tackle this.

I will keep you all informed.

ianjoub

This is the track tensioner, grease actuated. When I remove the grease nipple, I am still unable to collapse it. I assume the spring and rubber nipple stop this from happening. This means I have to ability to collapse the tensioner to remove the track if needed as there is no access to this stuff with the track on. Can I remove the spring and rubber and still have it function properly? I would assume so and just have to be aware of explosive force on that nippple if I loosen it too much/too quickly. Is my logic sound?

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I'm only guessing here but it looks like the body of that fitting going into the cylinder would be where you would release the grease from. The other thing in my mind is that on some systems you pump grease into cylinder to release tension on the tracks.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Normally the spring is just there to absorb a shock load from accidentally bumping into something. I haven't seen a track adjuster yet that the spring actually keeps the track under tension.

That is not to infer that such a setup does not exist, only that I haven't seen it.

John C.

Occupation
Terex dozers all worked that way. To loosen the track you pumped grease into the cylinder which pushed the spring back. I've been seeing all kinds of odd things on CTLs so I just put it out there as a suggestion.

ianjoub

The large spring is there for if/when you bump into things. I have the tensioner collapsed in the pics. It extends 5-6" longer than what is pictured. The extension happens from pumping in grease. I am just unable to collapse it until I remo0ve the end cap which has the small spring and rubber plunger in it. I can not access that piece until the tensioner is removed from the track frame though. So, I can not collapse the tensioner to remove the track when the track is installed!

John C.

Occupation
I take it then that the packing gland of the cylinder is what is caging that spring?

ianjoub

The 2nd pic shows it in place, hard to see because of the grease. It is the metal 'cap' that holds the grease nipple. I do not think there is any seal in there. It is likely just a machined needle seat for the rubber plunger (needle) to seal on with the spring pressure (of the small spring). This prevents the grease from pushing back out of the grease nipple when compressing force is put on the cylinder even if the grease nipple is loosened or removed.

John C.

Occupation
The fitting body is usually a cone with a drilled passage above the cone that lets the pressure off.

John C.

Occupation
Not the cap, the fitting going into the cylinder. On that one it is likely a slot in the threads that screw into the cylinder itself.

ianjoub

Ex has charging, runs great. I did another 2.5 hrs on it today. I have yet to have any problems. My only complaint is the foot valve controls are a little sticky. I am hoping it is just a matter of use and they will wear in a bit.

zeroo

Charter Member
Occupation
plumbing contractor
Ex has charging, runs great. I did another 2.5 hrs on it today. I have yet to have any problems. My only complaint is the foot valve controls are a little sticky. I am hoping it is just a matter of use and they will wear in a bit.
Good

ianjoub

I finally received my trencher attachment. They had neglected to pack it in when they shipped the machines.

They also sent me a pile of parts I mostly didn't need. I got 2 idler carriers (needed one), 2 tensioners, 2 tracks, and 2 wheel/roller groups. These were to fix the throwing a track problem. I thought I was very specific about what the problem was including pics, but didn't receive the major part I needed.

This is where the 'idler carrier' slides in with the tensioner behind it inside. It is the track frame. It is one piece that the idlers bolt to and the tensioners reside in. It is bent which allows the tensioned idler to misalign, then throws the track.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

I bent it back and rewelded it. The weld held, but the bottom part bent away again. This time around I bent it back, drilled it and through bolted it with 1/2" grade 8 bolt. I pinched it down good once I had the track back on and tensioned properly. Hopefully this will provide the extra strength needed. I will now send a video and more pics of the problem and see if they will send me the track frame itself.