• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Heavy equipment Welding repair

Welder Dave

Gives new meaning to getting the toes wetted in. Foot eye coordination. Still might want to wear a helmet. Have taped stinger on a broom handle a few times to reach in tight spaces.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
That’s what they had . They climb in and out the back to get materials ,the tailgate was so heavy They needed a machine to raise and lower the gate. :D

Welder Dave

Looks good but I'd reinforce the hinge bars. It looks like the pieces on the tail gate/door are welded to the bars coming from the hinge. That could be a potential weak point. My thinking is if the door was open and something hit it or was dropped on it, the hinges could bend and the door wouldn't close. I'd cut pieces of plate (or wide enough flat bar) to make the flat hinge part a T shape or cut 2 for each and make them a U/channel shape. This would put most of the stress on the pins and their mounts and not on the bar extending to the door. I'd also cap the tubing ends so they don't fill with water and other crap but maybe you aren't done with all the finishing work.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Faceless.jpg Fred Beans Ford strikes a nerve.
My one & only eBay purchase was a 1976 Chevy C65 Advertised as 48000 Mile 454 engine 5X2 transmission, recent new bed.

After bidding I went from VT to Pennsylvania to take possession.
Engine proved to be a 366. It turns out 454 wasn't an option for that truck. Recent wood bed was a mystery. Rotten wood is popular in PA. Ran out of gas twice (two tanks) within 1 mile of the dealership. Incredibly heavy city traffic (West Chester) no gas stations for miles, we ran all over the city looking for gas while the truck blocked traffic. It had a hole in a fender clearly not there in photos.
The dump body frame was stamped thin sheet metal. The bondo & paint outweighed the dump body.

The trip home took more than twice as long as the trip there. Air compressor kept coming loose from its mounts.

I drove that truck 14 years. Rebuilt the dump body, It now rides on my Top Kick

Yes I now have a new radiator & grill. Picture is old.