• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hello from Cleveland Ohio

SoylentGreen

Hey there, I am new here. I have some property in southern Ohio and I am wanting to get a used dozer. I have never owned equipment of this type before. I am looking to get a small to medium dozer. I am a medic of over thirty years experience. Also I am an avid motorcyclist and all around gear head.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
First off what purpose, how will move or maintain? CDL licensed to move?

Next up how deep pockets, not just on purchase but maintenance?

SoylentGreen

I would like to make a small pond and grade my trails. If I find a dozer I want I would have it hauled to the property. Definitely looking for one in the southern part of Ohio.

As far as my pockes go are you asking what my annual income is, or my net worth?

I did find a D6 here in Ohio but need to find out more about it. I think it is from the 60's.

From what I have learned so far this sprocket is well used. The seller is asking 7k and the engine runs smooth and starts right up. The seller said he is able to come down from the asking price. He sts. he has owned it for 10 years and wants it gone.

What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 20230809_115912 dozer side view.jpg
    20230809_115912 dozer side view.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
  • 20230809_115951dozer engine.jpg
    20230809_115951dozer engine.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20230809_115942 dozer sprocket.jpg
    20230809_115942 dozer sprocket.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

Drag racer

I would like to make a small pond and grade my trails. If I find a dozer I want I would have it hauled to the property. Definitely looking for one in the southern part of Ohio.

As far as my pockes go are you asking what my annual income is, or my net worth?

I did find a D6 here in Ohio but need to find out more about it. I think it is from the 60's.

From what I have learned so far this sprocket is well used. The seller is asking 7k and the engine runs smooth and starts right up. The seller said he is able to come down from the asking price. He sts. he has owned it for 10 years and wants it gone.

What are your thoughts?
Spend some time looking through the forums here get some ideas and don't get in a hurry.Miller's response on deep pockets they are referred to as a money pit

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Welcome to the forum and the Yellow Iron Disease!

The old 6 above has had a Dupont overhaul. Just as to what can see is sprockets, appears to have had rings already, lower rollers look to be contacting pin bosses, grousers are done, are extremely tight likely as like to roll off the idlers.
To get much work time especially pushing out a pond, gonna need under carriage, is a $$$ concern that he wants it gone. A full UC for this and its likely obsolete so rings changes are a moot point is going to set you back $16-24,000 in parts and because is press on drive flanges going to have to pull trucks. That means a lot more tooling & man-hours that you will want to spend.

Suggestion, as have been on the cheap side of this fence, shop around, do not latch on the cheapest you can find as fast become money pits or yard art. Newer and more expense is gonna hurt, although parts more prevalent, serviceability better, ROPS essential if going to work in trees and not a home spun pipe cage.
Will rapidly approach costs similar to hiring it done if not careful. And be tired to the point cannot get done as fast.
Want to add a Hydro tractor as a Deere or a Pedal steer slightly newer will do a novice better than a fully hand operated as these older beasts are.

SoylentGreen

My budget is 20 to 30 k. I really don't have much work to do with a dozer. I retire in 4.5 years and have always wanted a dozer to play with. This is going to be more of a toy for me than anything else. I would like an older machine with hand controls. I think a D4 size is about perfect for me. This D6 is a bit too big. I appreciate you guys giving me your assessment of the undercarrige issues. I will pass on this one despite it's low entry price. You guys give solid advice. I do not want to get into a 20k rebuild of the undercarrige. I will be looking and eventually find something meant to be.

Drag racer

My budget is 20 to 30 k. I really don't have much work to do with a dozer. I retire in 4.5 years and have always wanted a dozer to play with. This is going to be more of a toy for me than anything else. I would like an older machine with hand controls. I think a D4 size is about perfect for me. This D6 is a bit too big. I appreciate you guys giving me your assessment of the undercarrige issues. I will pass on this one despite it's low entry price. You guys give solid advice. I do not want to get into a 20k rebuild of the undercarrige. I will be looking and eventually find something meant to be.
Lot of loggers in my area like the Deere 450 G
Think the ease of maintenance is a factor.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Maybe find a tech in your area, For a couple hundred bucks, have him give it a thorough look-see. Check functions, linkage, controls all that fun stuff. Make sure he pours the coal to it, you don't want someone else's overheat headache. Check the fluids. Look for cross-contamination or glitter. It's not throwing money away if it saves you from a costly mistake.
Welcome to the forums.

SoylentGreen

Maybe find a tech in your area, For a couple hundred bucks, have him give it a thorough look-see. Check functions, linkage, controls all that fun stuff. Make sure he pours the coal to it, you don't want someone else's overheat headache. Check the fluids. Look for cross-contamination or glitter. It's not throwing money away if it saves you from a costly mistake.
Welcome to the forums.
That makes sense. Thank you Sir.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Last edited: