• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

help! cat 225

gary808

Occupation
operator,maintanence ,fabricator
we just bought a cat 225 its got 7,000 hours on it and we have some leaking problems on the drive motors .

we took the covers off to see if it was a broken or loose hose but its leaking from a vent? Where the drive motors bolt to a flange,after the flange where the brake control hose is. Next to the brake control hose is what appears to be spring pressure vent caps and the oil is leaking from there. Does this indicate faulty motors or a faulty brake system. Im not sure what these caps do but they arent plugs and appear to have a spring bypyass in them. IS it possible to just remove these and put a plug in its place or not ??...

Any help Thanks

bobin35

I would venture to say that your drive motor shaft seals are leaking and the oil is bleeding off through these valves so it wont overfill your final drive,could also be your brake piston seals.

roadrunner81

Occupation
Managing member KSR Excavating, LLC
I'm a noob but is the fluid hydraulic, gear or mix? Hydraulic or a mix I think would indicate that the seal between the drive motor and is leaking and adding additional fluid the the gear set. I'm no Cat expert so I may be blowing smoke.

gary808

Occupation
thanks for the replies ,your right its probably the motor seal .
there is that vent and a second hose which T's off with the other side so its more than likely a case drain.
but the oil seems to just be hydraulic oil .

ill post some pics if i can .

thanks for the help

kansas cat

On mine, when it went to puking oil out of that vent on top it was the brake release cyl that was leaking. Easy do it yourself fix if your mechanicly inclined. The brakes release with hyd pressure as soon as you step on a travel pedal. That line T's off and goes to both sides. Check the fluid level in the final drive. If it is over full then that is another clue to where the problem is.

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
Next to the brake control hose is what appears to be spring pressure vent caps and the oil is leaking from there. Does this indicate faulty motors or a faulty brake system.

What you are describing is the travel brake breather and breather hose and would indicate a brake problem not a travel problem. Probable causes depend on what type of oil is leaking out of the breather.

If its gear oil then the travel brake has been over filled and is bleeding off through the breather during travelling.

If it's hydraulic oil then it's one of two things:-

1. Failed or damaged travel brake piston seals causing the brake release pressure to bypass the piston into the lubrication cavity and out through the breather.
  2. Failed or damaged travel motor shaft seal causing the case drain to leak into the travel brake lubrication cavity and out through the breather.

IS it possible to just remove these and put a plug in its place or not ??...

Negative.

:)

gary808

Occupation
thanks for the help guys , i bought the book for the machine but shipping to hawaii takes along time .

Its more than likely the brake seals because the machine cant walk in a straight line .

i just finished rebuilding all the swash plate motors on my bomag roller and ,am hoping that i can run this machine a bit before doing that .

really quick question ....in the cab on the right panel facing the guages there is a orange light .....some one was helpfull enough to paint over pretty much everything ,but the light is on and i dont know what it's for .

is it important?

special tool

thanks for the help guys , i bought the book for the machine but shipping to hawaii takes along time .

Its more than likely the brake seals because the machine cant walk in a straight line .

i just finished rebuilding all the swash plate motors on my bomag roller and ,am hoping that i can run this machine a bit before doing that .

really quick question ....in the cab on the right panel facing the guages there is a orange light .....some one was helpfull enough to paint over pretty much everything ,but the light is on and i dont know what it's for .

is it important?

That is our guage check light.
Probably the hydraulic oil level sensor wire has come off the sensor, because I am sure you frequently check engine oil pressure and h2o temp. guages.
Look on the rear outside of the tank and check the condition of the sensor.
The only other is volts - you should be almost at 26 when running.

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
Its more than likely the brake seals because the machine cant walk in a straight line

In that case I'd say so too, like I said earlier, failed or damaged travel brake piston seals would cause the brake release pressure to bypass the piston causing the brake to not release or only partially release, so come time to reseal the piston you’re going to need to replace all the disc's too.