• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help on a wheel loader purchase

flipper10

Our company is looking for a wheel loader to move cars around in a smaller area & on occasion some materials. The machine won't be used much (less than 12 hrs/week). i have no clue what to look for (other than cost). Company wants to spend around $15k for the unit (ready to work), age isn't an issue just something reliable & parts are still readily available. Would also lik an enclosed cab.
I have looked at an early 80's fiat allis 545b, that would be about the best size or smaller. Any help would be appreciated.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You realize that 12 hours a week is still 600 hours are year.

That $15,000 loader is probably going to run two and a half times that for your first year in repairs. You will be lucky to get it to the second year.

06Pete

$15000 is on the low end for a good machine but you can do it if you look hard enough. I would look for a john deere 544 as they are reasonable priced and parts are accesable. With that amount of use and being a business reliability is fairly important I would run from a Fiat or other ones where parts are hard to get. Also think about a teloscoping forklift as they have Quick attach forks and can use a bucket and might be able to find one in that range.

flipper10

thanks for the replies. I did see a JD 544c, it has 4000 hrs comes with bucket & forks for $20k. it has a 6cyl JD motor. Any input on the motor??

06Pete

I have had good luck with all of my deere engines some like either more than others but all have held up well if tahen care of. 20K for a C seems high but if the hours are right it will be a good deal. The 544E is my favorite very well ballanced good visibility and lots of them around as the state used many so parts are stocked good. The A I had the weak point was the hydraulic pump a I replaced twice but that thing was worked hard as we dug bank gravel and many basements in hard clay but we ran it for 16 years and sold it for as much as we payed for it. The only other thing I would worry about is the trans check for slipping or overheating. For resale make sure it has a cab as many wll buy it for plowing snow if it has a cab. Good Luck!

quackattak

Pete is right about a telehandler, we have a 9000lb ingersol that is very handy and has given us little trouble. Fits in your price range also. I believe the E model deere had a 4 speed ZF trans with torque converter, the C model had 2 forward and one reverse with no torque converter, they are a decent machine just not mechanic friendly IMO. We sold are running 644c for 4k about a year ago

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
Consider a john deere 210 skip loader, many 2000-4000hr machines for that money, i think the lift capacity will fit your bill over 4000lbs i think it could be more

theironoracle

backforty

I am looking for a wheel loader in the 100k range something in the 3-4 yard class. what is best loader for the money?

hdwrecker

We are also looking to purchase new equipment at my work. We are replacing 5 junky 2002 Kawasaki 65 Z 4's, which are plagued with electrical and rust issues. We have some Case 621B's and a some CAT 928G's as well. These Mechines are far superior than the Kawi's. I'm sure that others may like the 65z4's, but we have had no love for these "money pits". Our crews primarally use the wheel loaders for big snow clean-up and tree removal from public roads, not so much for actual pay-loading, other than loading salt in the winter. We spec all of our units with jaw/clam buckets, which are a whole other issue. Does anyone have any suggestions or preferences of new mechines? I am leaning towards Case, JD, or Cat as we have all three of these dealers within 20 miles from our main shop, that makes it nice as far as parts and product support, obviously.

GrappleTackle

Hey all, new here to the forum. Im also in the market for a new loader. Preferably cat. (only local hvy equip dealer). I currently run a 924g and would like to upsize. But still keep the versalink/mono boom style as it seems to have alot more versality as far as rack back when handling pipe. And ive noticed in the case of the IT models that this feature is lacking in comparason. Just want to know if i can go up one size without ditching that linkage style