• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help on pulling timing gear-3208 Fuel Inj. pump.

Occupation
production of paper
Ive got the required puller, for correct pulling, do I turn the big center nut out, then screw in the two outside 1/4 " bolts as far as possible, then apply pressure by turning in the center bolt...or vice versa??? and will this piece come through the hole?it appears to have two ears that wont clear once off the shaft. Ever need to heat this?
On replacing it, can I find a bolt that will fit the center shaft, put a washer on it, and tighten down to push on the gear? or tap it till it goes with a large socket?
:Banghead email me or reply to this here, gonna do this in the morning I hope...Ross
turcottes@beeline-online.net

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Back the center (pushing) bolt out, fit puller to gear using the two 1/4" bolts, screw pushing bolt in until contact with shaft, continue turning pushing bolt to pop gear off of shaft. The pump shaft is a tapered shaft, after sufficient pressure is applied it will pop gear off of shaft.

But before you pull the injection pump, you need to get crank in proper position. There is a cap plug on front of engine that you remove to fit a timing pin on cam gear. Remove cap plug, bar engine over until you can fit the timing pin in the hole on cam gear, this is #1 TDC. Then when you fit the rebuilt pump, have pump shop show you where the timing pin hole is on the injection pump so it will be in correct timing position upon install.

Occupation
production of paper
Thanks!, I have the pump pinned already. The(incomplete) shop directions I have tell me to pin the motor right after I get this gear off...is this acceptable? I should be right there all but some gear play..with the pump pinned. The manual shows some good pix of the holes and bolt to pin with. Once that gear pops, will the front of pump release and come to rear?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yes, you can pin the engine after pump removal. I just prefer to dial it in before removal so pump gear isn't flopping around. And yes, pump pull out toward the rear, but you better take the intake manifold off, my memory tells me you can't get the pump out of there with the manifold in place.

Occupation
production of paper
On installing the gear onto the tapered shaft.....heat it and tap it on...or just tapping is all it needs.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
On installing the gear onto the tapered shaft.....heat it and tap it on...or just tapping is all it needs.

It should have a bolt and washer in center of shaft that sets gear on shaft. Torque that bolt proper and you should be good.