• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help, Problem with an older Skid Steer

SDK 8 Bobcat

Hello, another Newbbi to the forums. I recently bought an older Toyota Skid Steer and was hoping to get some advice on a problem I am having. It is an early 80's Toyota SDK8 Bobcat. I realize these are very rare in the US but I am hoping the issue might be similar to something on another model Skid Steer. The main problem I can see is that it feels like only one side of the tractor is driving properly. I can drive forward and reverse and it seems to turn well to the left but not very well to the right. Going forward seems to work best if the left stick is forward and the right stick is in neutral. It does turn to the right but it is very slow and choppy. Anybody have any ideas of what the problem might be? Thanks for any advice.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Sorry to hear about your troubles SDK 8 Bobcat. I've never worked on a Toyota skid, know nothing about them, but something ain't makin' sense to me here.

I can drive forward and reverse and it seems to turn well to the left but not very well to the right.

Ok, drives well forward, and, turns well to left. That would be, right lever forward and left lever toward neutral to turn left.

Going forward seems to work best if the left stick is forward and the right stick is in neutral.

Huh? I thought we went well forward? How did we get to this? What happens when both levers are pushed forward as would be normal for forward drive?

Again, I know nothing about this machine, but I think I would get it on jackstands, and start checking how the left and right levers are working the drives. On stands, with engine running, levers neutral, no wheels should turn. Push right lever fwd, right wheels should fwd. Push left lever fwd, left wheels should fwd. Both levers fwd, both sides should fwd at same speed. Same with reverse. Hope this gives you something to work with to solve your problem. ;)

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I know even less about this machine, but I do know this. Toyota skid steers have nothing to do with Bobcat. It is a Toyota skid steer end of story. Now where did I set my COKE errr Mountain Dew at.:eek:

Have you considered left hydrostat pump output flow might be low? Or how about left hydrostat linkages not activating the main left pintle lever fully. Might be time for some pressure / flow performance test.

SDK 8 Bobcat

Thanks for all the suggestions, I had a guy look at it yesterday and he said there is definitely something wrong in the Hydraulics, He just didn’t know the tractor well enough to say what. Maybe a Drive Motor or clogged Hydraulic filter or screen? Anybody know a good service guy in So Cal who might have a clue on this machine?
:beatsme