• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

High cattle prices here to stay?

Queenslander

.RC.
Hopefully, prices can only improve in the future.
Plans for another new major processing facility at Toowoomba sound encouraging.
I just pray that our Fed. Govt. has enough nous not to upset our northern neighbours over recent events.
Cheers, Greg

Old Junk Man

11143Hwy 90 West Pocahontas Arkansas 72455
Occupation
retired
back in 2012 I had 120 acres of grass and no cattle. I hauled semi loads of hay to Texas. And I bought a couple dozen skinny texas cows that where bred for $450 each. I sold the calf crop twice for more than I paid for the cows. and then I sold the cows the cheapest one brought $1475. I have two cows left a JerseyXangus and a holstienXangus . The price wont hold. everyone is keeping hefers. And folks are being weaned from beef. Pork is filling the gap along with chicken. I give it three years and the market will fall below profit level. I don't eat beef. Grass fed isn't very good. and feedlot beef is full of growth hormones and the chemicals needed to keep them alive from the myrad of diseasesthey get in close confinement. I eat home grown chicken, tame rabbit, potbelly pig, young goat and lots of deer.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Old Junk Man.

I eat home grown chicken, tame rabbit, potbelly pig, young goat and lots of deer.

Sounds like some real good eating right there . . . I must say I do enjoy grass fed beef though, especially a brisket slow smoked in the drum or on the Weber. (big grin and a drool)

Cheers.

Queenslander

Cattle prices continue to climb over here.... although still not at the lofty highs enjoyed being enjoyed by our American friends.
One example of how quickly things are moving is the Queensland cattle marketing index which provides a daily snapshot of all the markets around the state.
Started in1985 with a base score of 100 points, it took 30 years to, consistently, reach 200 but only another 6 months get to 300.
Currently around 330 and showing no signs of stopping any time soon.

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
Yes the trend was a lot lower 4-6 weights steers & heifers were $10-20.00 per hundred lower. Still at profitable levels but compared to last year appox $100 per calf less income...

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Funny I remember this thread after all these years, I thought it had been ongoing.

But I am going to post to it anyway. Things sure have gotten interesting.

In 2015 my calfs avg. #510 @ $2.65 = $1350 a head.
Last week sale market report #400 to #500 sold for $1.00 to $1.60 and they were up .05
So almost $800 a head difference gotta stay with threw thick or thin. Besides have to have something for this cowdog to do.

Queenslander

Prices here are still very good considering everything that is going on around the world.
One thing that’s helping is that our national herd is the smallest it’s been for thirty years.
Apparently, feeder steers here were the dearest in the world last week but the experts tell us this is unsustainable.
57BC6B2D-CACC-4B09-AFAA-CCEDFD188A1B.jpeg

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
In 2015 my calfs avg. #510 @ $2.65 = $1350 a head.
Last week sale market report #400 to #500 sold for $1.00 to $1.60 and they were up .05
So almost $800 a head difference gotta stay with threw thick or thin. Besides have to have something for this cowdog to do.

I think you mistyped a 2 instead of a 1 in your 2015 cattle price. United States cattle prices in 2015 averaged in the $1.50 range. 2015 carries the highest cattle price in history averaged over the twelve months. According to Dovers, the highest ever monthly cattle average was in November of 2014 at $1.69. The cattleman around here were real excited to be getting $1.50 on the hoof back then. Still your point is well taken. The price is down from previous record prices.

2014 cattle.jpg Yep I was mistaken best prices I got were in early 2015 my computer died lost my info
Here is market report from sale barn.