• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hino gearbox oil

Irish in oz

Occupation
fitter
Hi all. Quick question the other day i changed the oil in a hino 700 8x4 tipper. It has a zf 16 speed box (8 speed with splitter) there was a drain at the back of the box and a fill point at the side. There was also a drain near the front with a built in magnet it didnt seem to be as low as the rear drain. Does anybody know what the idea of this is?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Did you try removing the front drain plug..? Any oil come out..? If yes was it the same oil as the rest of the box, or at least did it appear to be..?
Maybe there is a rib or something similar inside the box that stops all the oil in the front end draining without a separate plug..?

Irish in oz

Occupation
fitter
Yea i drained the back and got most out only a little bit came from the front so i think your right. Just strange thep put a magnet on the front not the back as some people might not see the front plug where it is