• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Home brew diesel injector cleaners.

Roadoil

Anyone have a good mix for injector cleaners to add to diesel ?

My Lull with 110 hp JD 4039 has some heavy black smoke first when on the throttle then clears up I took apart the pencil injectors cleaned parts but nozzles may be partially clogged.

I have read most cleaners are parrafin aka kerosene aka jet fuel 90 percent then atf 10 percent maybe some other chemicals.

I filled fuel filter with kerosene everything I did helped a little but not enough.

If anyone knows commercial products that actually work let's hear it also but they very expensive for what they are.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I don't work with them any longer. I have a pop tester but that's as far as I go. Local guy charges me little to test, clean, and calibrate them. If they have problems, he has parts which I do not. I think the last set of injectors I sent in were less than $125.00 to work with all four. I don't know what was done but the engine was being reinstalled after rebuild so I sent the pump and injectors in for dynamic testing together.

Roadoil

I don't work with them any longer. I have a pop tester but that's as far as I go. Local guy charges me little to test, clean, and calibrate them. If they have problems, he has parts which I do not. I think the last set of injectors I sent in were less than $125.00 to work with all four. I don't know what was done but the engine was being reinstalled after rebuild so I sent the pump and injectors in for dynamic testing together.
I don't have anyone local here that reasonable from what I understand the JD pencil type are throwaway not rebuildable.

You can get pop testers on eBay $100 and actually new injectors obviously chinese a set of 4 for around $110 also but these looked OE rather just clean them if possible.

It may not even be the problem why the black smoke but what did helped some it was worse before and was going through a lot of fuel it seemed.

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
50/50 ATF and Acetone mix will clean up a lot. Are you able to pull fuel mix from a separate container and load the engine down good so it can actually clean out the gunk in the injection system? Throwing additives in and running with no load will only add to issues (along the lines of stabilizers and the like).

Roadoil

50/50 ATF and Acetone mix will clean up a lot. Are you able to pull fuel mix from a separate container and load the engine down good so it can actually clean out the gunk in the injection system? Throwing additives in and running with no load will only add to issues (along the lines of stabilizers and the like).
Ok I can fill the fuel filter with that should be enough to run it hard for a few minutes.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
polyetheramine (PEA) is the go-to fuel system cleaner for both gasoline and diesel. Gumout and Chevron Techron are the two major brands of PEA. It’s not snake oil. There is 40 years of data.

BASF makes most of the worlds PEA.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
This Innospec OLI-9104 is good stuff, too.
I’ve been on an Innospec kick lately. This drum treated 1 million gallons. Probably overkill for your Lull. Anywho.... I like fuel and fuel additives.

Jet A contains Antioxidants (gum inhibitors) that clean, somewhat. Run a couple tanks of Jet A through it. Then, change your fuel filters. 6890DBA7-A9D7-48F7-9EAB-7A7D23E603DD.jpeg

1693TA

Occupation
Just did exactly this with two gallons last week in my old Mack tractor. The injection pump mounted transfer pump plunger kept sticking with this almost adhesive ooze from someplace. No notice when it was going to do it either on top of draining down the fuel filters when the engine wasn't running. I traced this back to a small piece of suction hose original to the truck, (1980) with a "Q-tiip". Ran on the inside of this hose, the swab came out with this sticky sludge. Damned bio diesel crap we are blessed with here. I replaced all the fuel lines and ran a gallon mix of 50/50 acetone and ATF drawn from a two gallon gas can cleaning all this crap right up. Discovered I had a flat tire so speed limited to 30mph, but still took a while with full throttle acceleration to burn the mixture from starting and stopping on country roads, then reconnecting the diesel tank.

Problem seems to be gone over the past several starts daily.

1693TA

Occupation
Thinking of this thread I started the old Mack up this afternoon as it's been about two days since last start. Before the 50/50 mix was ran through the system, about 1/2 day setting and I'd need to prime for engine start. Truck fired right off today and did not miss. I didn't move it but I'm happy the problem is seemingly gone.