• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Homemade Tools

Zewnten

Looking through the forum I have seen several great homemade tools/kits for getting the job done on a budget; John C's hydraulic kit and angle iron mount, another posters I beam cylinder bench, any more out there? There was one poster who showed an image of their coffee can jumper wires with test light set up (if someone has a link to it I'd appreciate it) and after 2 power probes started acting up because of moisture/rain started thinking about more robust or field repairable options like the previously mention coffee can jumper wires.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
For starters, do you work in any mines or quarries overseen by MSHA? This is a serious question that has the potential to cost thousands.
Yea that's for sure! Some of the "tools" we had used for decades at the quarry with no problems all of a sudden were determined to be death traps by upper ups in the company when MSHA started taking notice.

We never had a problem locally but with a large multi-national company like where I worked one fine the other side of the country scares the crap out of every place in the company.

The one thing that got me was when a job that had been done for decades at our quarry with some locally fabricated tools was farmed out to a small two man repair crew that used methods less safe than we would have used! Guess management thought that them being sub-contractors insulated the company from any fines. Never heard if that was true or not, but I bet if someone got hurt bad or killed some lawyer would have a field day on the company!

Recall one of the old-timers back when I first started in the late 1960's would often say "If the tools not right, the man's not bright!" And I can guarantee old PeeWee as they called him did his job with many homemade tools and I don't recall ever hearing of him missing a day due to injury!

Last edited:

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
If you polish the heated areas to a shine and blend your welds to look good, they don't look that hard. It also helps if you stamp some random numbers in there.

Zewnten

For starters, do you work in any mines or quarries overseen by MSHA? This is a serious question that has the potential to cost thousands.
Oh yeah about 3 times a week I'm at an MSHA site. But the homemade stuff would not be on the truck during those times.

My bad apparently there's already a thread like this but I'd still like to see what guys are using in the field if anyone has some.

Last edited: