• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hose removing tip

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Bought a cotter key tool a few years ago. I've found it's best use is to remove hoses you aren't going to replace. It's easy to slip it under the hose and run it around the neck without any damage like when you use a screwdriver. The short right angle makes it easy to get into tight spots.

FWIW

32_6717136_3.jpg

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yep, handy tool Rob, makes a good heavy duty right angle pry tool, when you need something a bit tougher that the standard dental pick tool. :)

Plant Fitter

These are made by Toledo just for the job. They call them radiator hose removal tools, or something similar, and are sold as a pair. They work really well.

z-301151.jpg

mitch504

I called a glass company to put a side window in a Cat hoe, and they used those to handle the rubber strip.

I asked to see the tool, and they held them up for me but wouldn't let me touch them. I said "great idea using cotter pin pullers", company owner said "no, this is a Glaziers Gooseneck Tool, you have to order them from the glass company for $55 each. I issue one to each employee, if they lose it they have to buy it."

I told him Sears sold them for $5 each as cotter pin pullers. he didn't believe me, so I got mine and they were identical, right down to the handle shape, except mine had Craftsman on it. I told him he could have mine so he could have a spare, but he said, no he was going to stop by Sears on the way to the shop and order 10 of them. :D

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
I wouldn't mind having a set of those

JDOFMEMI

I called a glass company to put a side window in a Cat hoe, and they used those to handle the rubber strip.

I asked to see the tool, and they held them up for me but wouldn't let me touch them. I said "great idea using cotter pin pullers", company owner said "no, this is a Glaziers Gooseneck Tool, you have to order them from the glass company for $55 each. I issue one to each employee, if they lose it they have to buy it."

I told him Sears sold them for $5 each as cotter pin pullers. he didn't believe me, so I got mine and they were identical, right down to the handle shape, except mine had Craftsman on it. I told him he could have mine so he could have a spare, but he said, no he was going to stop by Sears on the way to the shop and order 10 of them. :D

What a markup! I guess the glass company figures they have a captive audience.