• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hough h-90E Transmission

zlssefi

Guys, i have a 74 hough h-90E payloader. It has an issue with the transmission, where it loses fluid. The odd part is it doesnt form any puddles, almost like the fluid is vanishing....any ideas here? im very confused with the whole situation.

bolt thrower

Occupation
Tractor Fixer
Its probably transferring the oil from the transmission into an adjacent component such as engine or hydraulic system or even cooling system, through a leaking seal. Check oil levels in other components, you'll probably find one overfilled.

zlssefi

It isnt leaking into the cooling system. the coolant stays at the same level and is never overfull. The engine oil is just the same. As far as the hydraulic system, i would think it would be vice versa, the hydraulic pump is under more pressure, so the hydraulic would more than likely overfill the transmission. Still looking for more causes on this issue. thanks for the reply!

bolt thrower

Occupation
Tractor Fixer
I am A Cat guy, so I cant tell you specifics. Hydraulic pumps do work at higher pressures, BUT, their shaft seals are almost never under pressure, rather they they are often vented to the pump inlet, which is typically below atmospheric pressure, (vacuum). Sometimes hydraulic pumps are "piggy backed" on the transmission pump. If the pump seals go out, transfer is possible there too. Often on an old machine, the hydraulic leaks can match the transfer rate, and be tough to find. Cat sells some red dye that may help track it. Good luck.

Bayou Cat

I have an H90E and I am losing trans fuild from the bottom seal. But the funny thing is it doesnt leak all the time. Sometimes it will lose all of the fluild and sometimes not.