• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hough Payloader Model HA

Azgoldrat

Just got 2 Hough HA Payloaders given to my Mining/prospecting partner and I and I am looking for outhers that might have one of know of persons with one..
Any Info will help... One has a Flat head Waukesha engine model FC-291 #949937 (gas) rear steer. It appears to Be a late 40's or early 50's vintage Orig. color looks to be IH red and I think I can just make out the IH logo in the peeling paint but was painted over yellow one or 2 times ... I am looking at restoring both to use at my lode Mining Operation(gold)here in Arizona that most of the equiptment is between 1898 to 1950 that we are rehabing so they should fit right in....Here is a pic of the one with the Waukesha engine I hope..........................Thanks for any and all replys, AL (A.K.A) Azgoldrat

Attachments

• DCP_1316 (Custom).JPG
    DCP_1316 (Custom).JPG
    46 KB · Views: 17,499
  • DCP_1315 (Custom).JPG
    DCP_1315 (Custom).JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 13,587

Ole JIM

Occupation
Retired
Azgoldrat said:
Just got 2 Hough HA Payloaders given to my Mining/prospecting partner and I and I am looking for outhers that might have one of know of persons with one..
Any Info will help... One has a Flat head Waukesha engine model FC-291 #949937 (gas) rear steer. It appears to Be a late 40's or early 50's vintage Orig. color looks to be IH red and I think I can just make out the IH logo in the peeling paint but was painted over yellow one or 2 times ... I am looking at restoring both to use at my lode Mining Operation(gold)here in Arizona that most of the equiptment is between 1898 to 1950 that we are rehabing so they should fit right in....Here is a pic of the one with the Waukesha engine I hope..........................Thanks for any and all replys, AL (A.K.A) Azgoldrat
Cute!--I wish I had ONE--I remember seeing those yrs AGO!--just Right for Snow Removal--YA!--I really Like That!--& I Hope YOU Strike it Rich using that Cute Machine!--Best of LUCK to YA!--Ole JIM--

mic247

Hough Payloader HA

I am looking for someone who can send me a pic of the carb setup on a Hough Payloader HA. Mine has the gas engine and looks like it is missing the breather, if there ever was one. It is leaking gas out the carb and you have to cover the opening some to get it to idle. Even then that is all it will do. If you give it gas, it dies. Any help out there????
I also have a parts HA, it is designed a little different and has no engine. So if anyone needs parts, I might have some.
Thanks,
Matt
mattmaney@yahoo.com

D10R

Occupation
groundskeeper
Probably, if it wont idle, it needs the carb rebuilt, and adjusted some. it sounds like your carb is in dire need of a rebuild, and good internal cleaning. it helps like you wouldnt believe on the 2 stroke stuff I fix, and I'm surprised some of the stuff I see actually hadnt been ruined by how its operated, and how it looks.

mic247

Payloader

I'm sure it needs rebuilt. I have taken it off and cleaned it. But the gasket was shot and i am guessing the nail looking thing stinking out the back is supposed be the pump? Like a diaphram on a lawnmower? Anyway, it is in bad shape too. Does anyone know where I can get the parts to fix this carb? Or another method of fixing it? All it wanted to do was pour gas out the carb even before i took it off. Probably from the bad gasket and not working pump. Any help would be great.

D10R

Occupation
groundskeeper
probably, your best bet, is to take down any model numbers you can find on the carb, and go to napa, ask if they have rebuild kits for the carb.

From what you describe, the carb definately needs rebuilt.

mic247

Hough Payloader HA

Have managed to find a little writting on it. It seems to be a Zenith carb. I have looked on the net and the ones I have found look pretty close to it. The only other numbers I could find on it was 8B. But I haven't found any info on that model. I did see that carbs close to this one came out on some Case tractors and some Fords. Even found something close to it on old cars. But not the exact one. Have you dealt with any of the Zenith carbs before? I did find out the peice I had originally thought to be like a pump was more like an adjuster to adjust the amount of fuel flow. Whoever worked on this before had put a nail and some silicone in there trying to make it work like a pump. Thanks for your help. I think I may have that part fixed by using a screw to control the fuel flow and now all I need is to make a gasket and hopefully this thing will work like it should.

mic247

Payloader Carb

I have manged to get some more info off the carb. It is a Zenith B6 and the tag reads 11570. Anyone got any info for that?

Azgoldrat

My HA has an oil bath aircleaner mounted just above the coil and behind the HYD.oil tank then a metal pipe runs across the top of the engine and down the side and connects to the air cleaner and carb with rubber hoses and clamps..
Will try to get some kind of pic for you soon....
If you want to send me an email with a Phone # and best time to call, I can call you while I am standing at it for any tips or clues you need if you will share what you have too.. I also restore Model A fords so I might be able to help with tips on rebuilding the Zenith..... As far as the gasket goes how good are you with a exacto knife and cork or rubber???? An air leak at the bowel will cause it to run as you discribed also the govener and the carb work together and are connected together and it will not run right till set correctly. Also my engine is a Waukesha 4 cyl model FC-291 how about yours?????? .......AZ

mic247

Hough Payloader HA

I got some gasket maker last night and cut out some to fit. Have the carb cleaned and put back together hopefully to where it needs to be. Was really looking for pics to show what may be missing off the assembly....such as the air cleaner cause there wasn't one on it at all. If you get a chance to take some pics of yours, you can email me at mattmaney@yahoo.com Might be able to go by your pics to make something.
My engine is a 4cyl Waukesha FC, but cant make out any other #'s past the FC. Overall it sounds like you have the same setup. I want to thank you guys for the help. I'd like to get this thing going as soon as possible. Probably going to be the weekend before I get the carb back on as we have been overrun here lately with rain storms. Anyone else with pics of thier's they want to share would be great too.

Userbucky

I know I'm a little late in chiming in here, but I want to let you know that I have ORIGINAL owners manuals and parts manuals for this and many other Hough "H" series loaders.
Email me if interested, otherwise Iwill be putting many on eBay in the coming weeks.

Thanks,
Anthony

Houghowner

Hough owner

Hi Guys !

I am hoping some one out there can help with my Delema.
I purchased a 1950 Hough M 100 it has a 4 cylinder Waukeshau engine,
I need a block or a runner or sell it as Is. I has a rebuilt started at the cost of 420 Canadian. I would love to keep it, it works perfect for snow removal.

Any help out there on this one.

Houghowner aka Todd todd_schwindt@hotmail.com

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF Houghowner! :drinkup

wrenchbender

mic247 wrote "It is leaking gas out the carb and you have to cover the opening some to get it to idle"

Hi mic247, if you're having to cover the top of your carb to get this machine to idle it's probly sucking air some where. This could be at the base of the carb or maybe around the intake gasket. To do a quick test start it up and while running shoot WD-40 around the base of the carb and/or the intake manifold gasket area. If either changes the RPM of the engine you have located the vacum leak. But if this has no effect on the engine it could be a little deeper as in a valve not sealing as it should.

Just noticed I'm LATE very late with this response!

Last edited:

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I got the carb kits for my Zenith TU4C pony motor carbs here
http://www.carbsonly.com/
If you can get the number off of the carb, usually on a small round riveted tag, they can probably help you. Good luck, hope you get it in shape.
You probably ought to go over to Redpower, the IH forum. Register and head to the costruction equipment section. Lots of good folks there.
http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php
alan627b

Last edited:

buckchills

Ha

I'm going to look at a HA tomorrow-stuck engine, starter in basket w/missing parts, but new hydraulics. Someone started fooling with it and quit. Equipment dealer only wants $600 for it. I gotta look for that price...

If you had success with your HA, I'd like to hear about it.

C>

Houghowner

Well not much maybe we can make 1 out of 2

:Banghead
I have found no one that has one, the starter I found a local fellow who rebuilt mine it cost around 400. I would sell mine for 1000.00 it ran good untill the block blew out, a handy little unit. I have a photo if you would like to see it.
Houghowner

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums buckchills! :drinkup

okumaguru

Hough

I hadn't stumbled across this thread yet. I have an old Hough which I am trying to identify in another thread. There is a person in Pacific who has one similar to that one for sale. I didn't ask him the exact model but I know it was propane fueled and had the same tire configuration as the pictures you posted. It had a manual transmission also.
I have been trying to learn as much as possible about these old loaders but I'm not having much luck so far. Someone "engineered" a V461D engine in mine so pictures won't be of much help I don't think. Mine runs great but has a lot of "gremlins" from shoddy work I have been trying to get worked out. I think mine is actually the next size bigger than yours but the serial number was ground off of the frame in the engine change and doesn't even have a dash in it so I have no way of identifying it.
If you find a good source of Hough information please let me know.
Thanks
Tim