• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hough Payloader Model HA

datsunman

Occupation
mechanic
HI, Im a proud recent buyer/owner of a HOUGH Payloader but I can't find the model plate or identification on it. I did find a tag on transmission with the following- Rockwell Standard corporation HOUGH 123111 SERIAL NO 2 83-0016
The ratio is not completely clear (1 ??2-10) or (1 182-10)
This tag was on the right side of transmission case and made of aluminum riveted on stamped letters blackened with blue in the letters.
This is a 2-speed + forward/reverse.
I also find that it has a torque converter between clutch and eng which is Waukesha model(FC 3.25x4)No38154 G5843,gov speed 2000loaded RPM
torque converter is stamped (43) on the top next to oil fill/dipstick/breather
Clutch bell housing has cast in tag (235-L) and cast in lettering(4887 S 123) Also a circle around the Capitol case B, folowed by a lone D
Also a number tag in the top of bellhousing of torque converter facing the engine and close to starter(341-L
This is all the info so far and I hope that one of you can help me find or determine what its model would be. I want to find and buy repair/parts/operator-manuals for it. Your discussions about these helps me because mine has 2-lift and 2-dump cylinders. I really need engine rebuild parts and the trans had a lot of metal shavings in the gear-oil and one of the cast driven hubs is cracked badly. I can set up pictures to show here soon.

PAULIH300

That sounds at least a mid to late 50s model.3rd generation with the addition of the redesigned loader arm arrangement,and the torque converter.The Rockwell Standard Corp bothers me,because at this time International Harvester owned Hough,but they were still made by the Frank G Hough Co.Waukesha engine parts are available at your local NAPA store,and others that sell Federal Mogul engine parts.Also there are online sources for gaskets...etc.As for the hub,I wish you well.This also may not be an HA,could be an H-25.Only pictures will tell the truth.

albized

Hello people,I'm live in Italy, in Turin and I'have a 2 Payloader HA, next day put a foto of their, how mutch is the value, the ha is very better status....

albized

Payloader HA

Hello Gents.
Excusme for my englis not very well.
My name is Alberto, I'm live live in Italy in Pinerolo is a small city near Turin.
This is my story of PAYLOADER HA

I have two Payloader Ha, both there are in good condition, one of this have a loaders, the other have a hook/Karabiner.

The condition shape is good, Hidraulic tha same, wheels good, and the engine is new, have only 100 Hours.

In the past this payloaders was in a mine of talc-pouder in a border of France.

I sell both, accept a reasonable offert, and is possible sell a chain for frontal wheel.

Hey people, if you know a friends buy a PAYLOADER HA.....spread the word....

I work for automotive industries, and I don't have a lot of time for use this Payloader. I have also old motorbyke produced of MOTO GUZZI.

rino

Occupation
Drive steel bed Dump Truck for a paving company
I think there is one of these machines for sale at

Rondy & Co., Inc.
255 Wooster Road, N
Barberton, OH 44203
Phone: 330-745-9016
Fax: 330-745-4886
rrondy@rondy.net

I have only seen it from the street, which is about no more than 10 parking stalls away! Looks like they were using it for clean up od some kind! It did't look too bad, but it didi look used!

10519bry

1965 hough payloader

am in need of parts for a 1965 houhg payloader (military) It has a Rockwell automatic transmission. We need a transmission pump The part no. is 1517H25B1 and the serial # is XM 18556. any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

10519bry

Hi I need some help finding parts for a 1965 hough payloader(military) I need a transmission pump It has a Rockwell automatic transmission) It is a Hydreco The part No. is 1517H25B1 and the serial no. is XM 18556. Any help would be greatly appricated.
Thanks
John

tdb

Occupation
Consumers Energy
Little hough loader

Hi .
I'm Ted I'm from Michigan.
This is my first post .
I went with my son Nick Friday to pick his latest buy , he told me it was a hough loader , it has sat in a barn for about 15 years or so .
We had to push it on the trailer with a front end loader, got it loaded and headed home , work on it about 2 hours cleaned the carb did some wiring and put in new 12 volt battery and it took off running.

Now my ? is can someone tell me the a little about this loader, I have read the past post and it looks like it could be a early HA.
I will post some pictures, Thanks for the help.
TEDMI.
100_0001-6.jpg

100_0003-2.jpg

Occupation
Quality Engineer
Hi Ted,
Your Payloader looks like a first generation machine, manufactured prior to 1952. If your serial number is still visible, please post it, it will help identify the exact year of manufacture.
Ray

tdb

Occupation
Consumers Energy
payloader

Thanks ray for the reply.
I cant fined a serial number on it , looks like there was a tag on the front dash but its long gone.
when did they start making these little loaders, cant fined much information .
TEDMI.

Occupation
Quality Engineer
Hi Ted,
Check out the book “Payline “by Oscar H. Will, it tells the complete history of IH and Hough construction equipment. In the back of the book it gives a complete breakdown by serial number of IH and Hough machines. Not to repeat myself but here’s the story. The model HA began production in 1947 and continued in various forms until 1970. Your machine was manufactured between 1947 and 1951. Production of the first generation Model HA Payloaders ended in 1951 (these machines had a “H” brass plate on the counterweight as yours has). The second generation production ran from 1952 thru 1954 (these machines had “PAYLOADER” cast into the counterweight). And the beginning of the third generation was in 1955 (a 4 cylinder lift was introduced). Early production Payloaders had a manual release bucket. Patrick in France has a perfect example of one of these early Payloaders. Check his out on the redpower site. (I don’t know how he is doing with his project; he hasn’t posted in a while.) Thanks for the pictures and your interest in keeping this rare breed alive. Keep us posted of your progess!
Ray

P.S. If your engine still has its builders plate, that may give you a clue as to the year of your Payloader. It is located on the rightside top of the engine block. The engine date code stamped on this plate.

dozerdave

Hi Guys,

I appreciate the pictures and information about your repairs. And if you ever get the bucket full of rock and hoist it be sure to wear a hard hat or maybe even a hard suit.

Occupation
Quality Engineer
Welcome to the board Operator,
For your water pump, contact Jobbers Warehouse in Philadelphia 215-236-8500, ask for Jimmy, he'll be able to fix you up with a rebuilt pump. I bought all of my Waukesha engine parts from them. They specialize in older, hard to find engines and parts. Plan on spending around $175.00 for the water pump. Good luck with your HA Payloader.
Ray

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
Cute!--I wish I had ONE--I remember seeing those yrs AGO!--just Right for Snow Removal--YA!--I really Like That!--& I Hope YOU Strike it Rich using that Cute Machine!--Best of LUCK to YA!--Ole JIM--

I see Ole JIM aka Ole Tower has been sending coded mesages to the Al Quieda from this board too :eek: lmao

there was a guy around me that had about 10 of those goofy looking loader's i'll try to see if he's still got any for part's for ya.

PJ

hdridernh

Hough HA

Hello Folks,
I am new to this forum and might possibly buy a Hough HA?? What is the lifting capacity of these? The gentleman says it smokes a little bit? Any suggestions on what to look out for?

Thank you in advanced..