• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How do they operate without DOT #'s

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
I stopped and spoke to a DOT guy here in Georgia at a buc-ees station a few months ago. I asked him about the 10k plus trailer CDL rule. He said as long as your total rig weight is under 26K they do not require a CDL license. I told him a lot of guys use 14k trailers and what is the deal. He said it with an F250 was no problem. But when you get a dually and step into a 14k / + truck with a 14k trailer then the CDL license is required. But it seemed that was how he interpreted the law, because others might give the ticket for a trailer over 10k. I was also told if you use the truck commercially and you weight over 10k you need the DOT number.

My dad got stopped pulling a shed and got 12 violations. He had a permit. He went through the city of Roswell. He got written up for no valve stem covers and his bed side boards not being tall enough for the blocks, he has been using his truck that way for 40 years... They gave him so many days to correct the issues and send them proof and it would tun into a warning..

For what it is worth.

Truck Shop

He got written up for no valve stem covers and his bed side boards not being tall enough for the blocks, he has been usin

He should have asked the DOT officer to show him the regulation on valve stem caps. This subject has been on going for years-many have looked-I have looked and found no regulation requiring valve stem caps being
required by federal motor carrier rules. Bogus. If a DOT officer writes a warning or a ticket for anything that
sound odd you have the right to have the officer show the 396. regulation.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
TS is correct,
I've been through the ringer with these ass clowns here at the Brady scales so many times I think I've got a permanent name plaque inside their office. I will fight every single BS thing they try to throw at me and one of them was valve stem caps and they could not show me the code on it. I told them the next time they bring that up I'll be filing a lawsuit against them for harassment. It never happened again after that.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
I believe he was written up in a way that related to proper safety equipment. The code section that it was related to was broad and I believe it was a Georgia state code that relates to uniform rules of the road and standard factory equipment. He was stopped and cited by local law enforcement when they were preforming truck safety inspections. Our state changed most of that now. The have made a department of highway public safety which sole job is to do safety inspections. He is in his late mid 70s now and he is still working. He down sized trucks and mostly uses a single axle trailer combo which keeps him under 10k. Of course the heavier buildings would be better pulled with a diesel...