• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How does my diff lock work?

nilzlofgren

Just a trivial question. How does the diff lock on my 580K 4X4 lock the front axles together ? The only connection between the front axle and the transmission is the drive shaft. How does my stepping on the diff lock pedal make the two front wheels lock? Just curious.

hammerdwn20

Occupation
pipeline
Your diff lock only works on the rear wheels locking them together. Im from Nj too. What part?

bill onthehill

I have a 580k also. it is a 1988 4wd and the diff lock only locks the rear wheels even when you have the front axle engaged. If you are somehow getting a true 4x4 be careful as you will tear up u-joints,splines or worse yet spiders in the axle itself. try locking in the 4wd and raise the front off the ground with the bucket,then creep it forward in 1st gear and see if both wheels turn together. If they do I would strongly suggest looking at the front axle differential before you break something. Does it chatter when you turn hard in 4wd with diff lock on? they are normally hard to turn with the diff lock on but if you feel chatter in the steering your diff. is stuck. Bill B.

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
all tractors only lock the rear wheels...if you were to try and turn with your front wheels locked then you are in for a hell of a ride...and a trip to replace something thats broken

Canadian_digger

I don't know about Case. But I know you can get a Deere backhoe with a limited slip front axle, witch will make both front tires spin.

hammerdwn20

Occupation
pipeline
Can't be. I've watched both sides of the front end lock up, when I step on that pedal. I'm from Hammonton. You?

i would raise the front wheels off the ground, step on the diff lock then get out and try to turn the wheels by hand. i really doubt its locking the front diff. btw i think your only supposed to engage the lock while at a complete stop.

Im from piscataway

Iron Horse

My New Holland TL100A has full axle cross locks . It has one switch for 4x4 and another for X locks . When engaged both front wheels will claw at the ground instead of only one when in 4X4 . Electro hydraulic i think is the term , it could well be the same with your backhoe .

Nothinbetter

Unless is has wires or something going to it I would agree it's limited slip. I have driven many tractors and backhoes with this and the wheels both spin but sometimes at different speeds.

Some larger farm tractors now have locking fronts so a backhoe could.

hammerdwn20

Occupation
pipeline
we are talking about a k model machine here so it isnt exactly new. MAybe someone retrofitted it.

justncase

Occupation
need work/try too do it all
case 580k need help i think i broke my spider gear,opened inspection plate and strait back to right-the gear touching the big ring gear has teeth missing and rear is banging on right side.any help?Thanks ,jd