• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic Cylinder Rod End - Grease Won't Flow

Beckbenj

Hey All,

The rod end of the dipper cylinder doesn't want to take grease. I'm not familiar with how the rod end grease fitting and bushing needs to line up, but I'm suspecting it may be out of alignment and that is why I can't get grease to flow into the joint.

Does the bushing need to be pressed out and back in the correct alignment?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0287.jpeg
    IMG_0287.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0286.jpeg
    IMG_0286.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25

Delmer

I wasn't expecting those pics. Take a right angle o ring pick and find the hole in the bushing, clean it out, remove the zerk, clean the hole. There's usually a groove around the inside so the bushing alignment isn't critical. If it won't push grease through, try oil in a grease gun, while picking at the hole in the bushing. If there's no movement, then I guess the bushing has to come out.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Some bushings have a groove around the outside some don't. If flushing with oil in grease gun does not work then agree press it out and clean everything.

Problems like this are why I always preferred to grease equipment at the end of the shift not in the morning at start of shift. That way any crap that might have gotten in during the shift can be flushed out before it has a chance to harden up over night.

Beckbenj

Looks like I’m buying a porta power hollow ram cylinder, the oil in the grease gun didn’t do anything. Didn’t seem like there was anywhere for the pick to go either when sticking it in the ports.

So now the question: Can the bushing I remove be reinstalled, or should I plan on buying a new bushing?

I was planning to try and remove with the porta power and then getting dry ice to freeze and reinstall (again with porta power).

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Delmer

If you can't get a good enough bit to drill the bushing, then a masonry carbide bit will drill hard steel if you sharpen it to a little sharper angle on a grinder.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Hard to tell from the picture, is that a brass bushing? If so should drill easy.

If you do drill a hole and it doesn't line up with one of the grooves I'd just use a small grinding stone to connect the hole to the grooves.

Beckbenj

Not a brass bushing, definitely hardened steel. I tried drilling with a freshly sharpened cobalt drill I have and didn’t do much. And good thought on the connecting the groove, I have a small dremel I should be able to get in there with.

4bz

You do not need a new grease fitting to determine if the old one has failed or is still working. Remove the existing grease fitting, and connect the grease gun to it on your workbench. If the grease fitting does not accept grease while it is off the joint, it is time to get a new one.

Welder Dave

You could try heating it too if there's stuck grease blocking grease going in. I've had to use heat and penetrating oil along with a pick to free up the grease passage way. Grease fittings do plug too.